Furuno 1731 Mark III

H2obio

Hi All,
A friend gifted me this unit and I'm looking for the wiring schematic for the 18-19 wires that go into the plug for radome. He apparently pulled the wires out of the plug during removal.

Thanks, Ron

Greetings? Question for Mr. Electron - I will be working on a boat this summer with a Furuno 1731 Mark 3 that has no image on screen. Button pushes yield beeping noise, but screen blank. Can you point me to a manual somewhere for this unit? And can you steer me toward how old it is with serial number - 3361-7407?

** Never mind. Didn't fully read the above post. found the manual !!! Still would like to know the age and life expectancy if possible !!! ***

Thanks a ton !!!!
WC

That unit sold in 2006. The manual is posted under the product support pages at FurunoUSA.com. Here is a direct link for your convenience.

Good morning, I'll take another look and try to decipher the schematic. Specifically, I'm trying to reinstall the multiple wires that were pulled from the rubber cover during removal.

Well, I thought I was pretty good at deciphering schematics, but this one's got me beat. There are 18 wires and 24 slots in the antenna plug, which are numbered (tiny). The challenge is the schematic seems to state that two wires go in same numbered slot which doesn't appear possible...........any help out there?

Thanks, Ron

so for example; white/org and white and grn are all marked 1. Or should I be reading this as white/org goes to #8, white goes to #4 and green goes to 19?

Depends if you are talking about the radar side or the display side. White wire with orange tracer (B=Big gauge) goes to pin 8 at the display side but at the radar scanner it goes into pin 1 of J801 of the VH-9 molex connector.

ok, that's the way I was reading it, but then where does white go on the antenna side if pin 1 is filled? and the green?

1678142164873.png
There are three connectors in the scanner. You have more than one pin one. White goes to pin one of J802.
1678142263534.png
Green goes on Pin one of J611 (which is a completely different connector.

Ok, the connector I have on the antenna side has 9 pins on each side and six in the center. I went with the number to color correlation that I believed to be correct, but the schematic asks for two white/blk (B) for pins17 and 11 respectively, but I only have one wire of that color. Attached is the way I put it together; hope it makes sense!

Attachments

• schematic.jpg
    schematic.jpg
    553.1 KB · Views: 9
If you have a 1731Mk2 there will be three molex connections in the scanner from the scanner cable. a 9-pin, a 4-pin and a 13-pin as shown in the interconnection diagram from the manual. When talking about the 9 pin, it is this part of the drawing.

1678287099082.png

Ultimately if a prior owner used the wrong type of cable stock and the wires are not the correct color it won't matter as long as you ensure that the wire leaving the display gets to the correct destination. This can be confirmed pretty easy with a multi-meter. It is important that the pin numbers at the display get to the appropriate pin in the scanner based on that diagram from the manual.

Thank you Mr. Electron, I actually have 1731 mark 3 with one molex connector. I've provided pics.

Ron

Attachments

• furuno1.jpg
    furuno1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • furuno2.jpg
    furuno2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • furuno3.jpg
    furuno3.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
The 1731MK3 has three molex connectors at the scanner side and one 24 pin connection at the display side as shown in wiring diagram. If you have a 24 pin at the scanner then that scanner doesn't belong to that 1731Mk3 display.

1678458394221.png

Thanks again. Here's a pic of the plate off the scanner/antenna. Both units have one 24 pin molex. It seems unlikely that someone would rewire it to fit, but I suppose anything is possible. Both these units were on my buddies whaler for many years and worked flawlessly together. I did remove the molex from the back of the display with the hope that I could just copy the wiring to the antenna, but the colors are all different.

Attachments

• furuno4.jpg
    furuno4.jpg
    926.7 KB · Views: 5
The combination of the RSB0071 and the RTR of 058 on the radome narrows the possibilities, but can you also provide the RDP number from the back of the display that is connected? This will help us pinpoint the radar model number.

That RTR number (RSB0071-058) is the correct unit for the 1731Mk3. That said these photos you provided can't be of a connector at the radar (dome) scanner. Again the dome has three connections (white molex connectors). Are you not seeing these connectors inside the dome connected to the boards?

1678483555188.png

Back