FM4800/TZT and Emergency DSC calls

chtucker

Furuno Fan
I just received my FM4800 VHF that I will be putting on my NMEA2000 network. I am running a TZT9 and Timezero 3.3 pro.

I am hoping that the Emergency DSC calls get plotted on the map if the sender has their radio properly set up. Is this the expected behavior? Will the chart recenter on the alert, or will I need to zoom out to find it? I assume I can acknowledge the alarm and hopefully have a menu selection of navigate to?

I know that I would need TZT2 if I want to make radio calls to AIS/DSC targets, but I am ok with not having that feature, what I want to understand emergency DSC calls.

Thanks!
Howard

Yes, the expected behavior is that if the other person has their equipment properly setup and you interface you TZT9 and FM4800 then the TZT will display DSC position requests and emergency DSC alerts.
My understanding is that it will not interrupt your navigation by centering on the target automatically. That could cause a dangerous situation if you are relying on your TZT for navigation at that moment. However, you can go here:
DSC List.PNG
and locate the target on your chart. At that point you could drop a point alongside the target in question and navigate to it if you wish.

Back