FI70 question .. general switching question

fallguy1000

I am powering up instruments and need to determine whether there is any reason to switch power to devices like the TZTL12 separately from the NEMA instruments like the FI70.

So, on my console, would a single instruments switch that also switched on the NEMA be okay? Or is there any reason to switch the NEMA and the instruments separately?

While this may not seem like a FURUNO question, it actually is because the FI70 comes on automatically and I need to power isolate the device from the NEMA backbone the boat uses, otherwise the thing turns on when I turn on the mains which use NEMA for general switching. And since the NEMA is 12v, I also need to add a voltage converter, along with another NEMA power line and the NEMA power isolater, and another CZONE switch, and a wire, and use a CZONE output (they cost about $500 for 6 outputs) for the 'convenience' of using the NEMA to power the FI70. Yes, that is correct, I need to use 6 additional devices and configure the switch in the software to keep the FI70 from turning on with the house mains.

For the AP display, also NEMA powered, I think I will just leave it go on the switched NEMA circuit. The AP will have a czone switch, but I see no reason to isolate and create another NEMA power line. The AP display does NOT seem to power itself on when the circuit gets powered like the FI70

If the FI70 did not turn on automatically, I would not need any of this xtra work, but like I said, perhaps, I was trying to shortcut and didn't realize it and I suppose the FI70 turning on for larger vessels with 6 of them is nice, but sure would nice to be able to configure it.

Thanks for any advice.

Any chance the TZT12F has a 12v output on it I could use to power a NEMA? Then the device could be switched on with the TZT12F? I will read up on it, but figured I could ask here quicker.

i.e. The Multi-Cable red/black...can it power a 12v NEMA network for the FI70? Then the FI70 display would turn on with the TZT..?

The purple also says power, but is that regulated 12v or is that the same as the power delivered (here 24v)?

Thanks.

Okay, so I think I figured this thing out.

The device goes to the last known configuration as does the TZTL12F.

So, if it is powered off, I believe it will stay off and not turn on and then I don't need all that other funny business to switch instruments on...

I will update the thread after some more investigation tomorrow.

Sorry if I didn't realize this sop.

fallguy1000":2cfwzqp8 said:
Okay, so I think I figured this thing out.

The device goes to the last known configuration as does the TZTL12F.

So, if it is powered off, I believe it will stay off and not turn on and then I don't need all that other funny business to switch instruments on...

I will update the thread after some more investigation tomorrow.

Sorry if I didn't realize this sop.

Yes the FI-70 turns on when the CAN bus/NMEA 2000 network is powered. The FI-70 will undergo a self-test, then display the last-used screen if the test is completed satisfactorily. :jump :jump

Ref. https://furunousa.com/-/media/sites/fur ... manual.pdf

- Maggy :cool

Still working on it.

Today, I discovered the TZT12F is knocking out the nema network.

Everything works until it finishes it's boot up sequence and at the very end of the boot the entire boat drops out. So, it isn't the FI70. But the TZT12F which I thought was working fine.

The thing does not seem to like my nema network. It works fine until I plug it into the backbone. Then the entire network is lost.

Here is how my network is setup.

CZone uses NEMA devices to control all digitally configured DC distribution on the boat. When I flip the power on the house bank, the CZone NEMA is powered. I call this side of the nema network the cabin side.

I ran an extension cable about say 15' long to the other side of the boat to the console.

I used a power isolater and added power to the other side of the nema, that side is controlled by the Czone and turns on with a switch. That side of the backbone has all the Furuno devices, the tzt, AP, fi70, f4800, etc.

I read a lot about all of this and it said to avoid using the shielding on the second NEMA network's ground connections and that did not change the outcome.

I tried to run a separate czone output just for the nema power and that did not change the outcome.

I tried to share the grounding on the output side of the voltage converter. My house is 24v, so I need to use voltage conversion to power the nema networks. that did not change the outcome....tried to share it two different ways even

What is causing the TZT12F unit to knock out my NEMA network? It takes down the entire network and the CZone distribution says I have a configuration error, which is obviously not the issue.

Maybe I need a network bridge device to keep czone intact even if the non-czone stuff has an issue, but this is all caused by TZT...

think I will start a new thread as this one has a failed title now

It would be best to open an official support case with you Furuno distributor. If Furuno USA is your distributor that is via our website www.FurunoUSA.com - Support - Ask a question. With as much as you have going on, it would take a great deal time to get answers on all the specifics of your install.

For other users, I don't know the mechanics of what exactly the TZT unit does, but here is what I believe works, at least in an incomplete, but partial setup. (Still have the FM4800 radio and the autopilot processer from Furuno to add, along with another competitor's MFD)

I kept the Furuno MFD on the main NEMA network, and am only switching the offending FI-70 unit that turns on all the time with a second NEMA network. The way that I have done it so far is as follows for any other users or commentary.

The CZONE COI and components functions on the main N2K network.
The Furuno MFD is also on the main N2K network.
The second N2K network is on a switched power distribution from CZONE, but of course, is using an entire output. The FI-70 is powered via the second NEMA section.

At first, the MFD was trying to download? or understand the network configuration and I had an issue with the lights blinking when the unit flashed a yellow status alarm on top that said receiving configuration, but after the initial incident, the lights in my cabin no longer flash or blink and the configuration seems to be working.

I turn on the batteries to the cabin, then turn on the MFD or the second N2K network and then the FI-70 turns on versus turning on with cabin power.

I plan to see if any other FURUNO devices are automatically powered, but I doubt it.

I am not quite sure what the master and slave feature of the FI-70. I will follow up if I find out more from Furuno support team.

The FI70 was a designed replacement unit to replace the FI50 (FI501, FI502, FI503..) instrument series that ALL powered up with the NMEA 2000 power. The FI70 has a power button to turn off for those wanting to go dark but the unit by design will still power back On if the NMEA 2000 bus power is turned off and back on.

Back