DFF1 and TZT2 Transducer Setting for B164 and TM260

MarMax

Furuno Super Fan
I'll be installing the 165T-50/200-SS260 transducer soon and plan to connect the 50/200 to my DFF1. Is the only TD setup option to pick [manual] and 1kW?

My other option is to connect the TM260 to the DFF1 and the combo 50/200 to the TZT2. I'm at software V6x on both MFDs (TZT and TZT2). Any other TD setup settings recommendations?

The DFF1 and TZT2 are in different locations so I can't really swap the TD cables easily. Do you have a recommendation on which TD (combo 50/200 or TM260) is best to connect to the DFF1 vs. the TZT2?

Also while I'm asking, please provide any additional setting information for both the TM260 and the 50/200 in the combo transducer. I know the 526TID-HDD is a B260, so is it OK to choose it for the TM260?

MarMax":7qpal8r3 said:
I'll be installing the 165T-50/200-SS260 transducer soon and plan to connect the 50/200 to my DFF1. Is the only TD setup option to pick [manual] and 1kW?
The 50/200 element in the combo transducer is an Airmar B164. So yeah, do manual because I don't see any option for that in the transducer setup.

My other option is to connect the TM260 to the DFF1 and the combo 50/200 to the TZT2. I'm at software V6x on both MFDs (TZT and TZT2). Any other TD setup settings recommendations?
So you want to use a TM260 to a DFF1 and then on the TZT2? How come you don't just want the 50/200 off of the combo or do you want two 50/200 transducers?

The DFF1 and TZT2 are in different locations so I can't really swap the TD cables easily. Do you have a recommendation on which TD (combo 50/200 or TM260) is best to connect to the DFF1 vs. the TZT2?
With all of the software updates to the internal sounder of the TZT2, performance is going to be very similar between the two, so you can pick whatever you prefer. Are you purchasing a separate TM260?

Also while I'm asking, please provide any additional setting information for both the TM260 and the 50/200 in the combo transducer. I know the 526TID-HDD is a B260, so is it OK to choose it for the TM260?

No, The housing is a SS260 but the element is an Airmar B164.

Thanks for the reply kicker. I'll add some clarifying information for you. I'm removing a B117 and a 165T-TM54. I'm replacing the B117 with the combo transducer and I'm adding a TM260. So when finished I will have two 50/200 transducers and the DFF3D transducer.

I have two 50/200 sounders so why not use them both. I'd still like to know your recommended settings for both 50/200 transducers for either sounder (TZT2 and DFF1). And I'd like to know if you recommend a particular 50/200 sounder/transducer combo. Although close, the DFF1 seems to be considered a tad better than the sounder in the TZT2, so I was planning on connecting the B164 (50/200 in the combo) to the DFF1 since it will have a cleaner signal (thru-hull with fairing). Even though the TM260 is a better 50/200 transducer I'd only be using it when drifting or moving slowly (less than 5 kts) for bottom fishing.

At some point in the future when my TZT9 is end-of-life, hopefully I can replace it with a TZT3 9" and at that time replace the TM260 with a chirp transducer.

You're limited when it comes to options with the T165-50/200 combo transducer.

165T-50/200-SS260 - 1kw manual setup for transducers setup.
TM260 - Furuno USA does not sell that model but I believe it is B260, maybe you can confirm with Airmar and if it is a B260, you can pick 526TID-HDD as you stated.

I have another question regarding settings for the DFF1 and the TZT2 sounder. I've connected the B164 to the DFF1 and the TM260 to the TZT2. I'm using Manual 1kW 50/200 for DFF1 transducer selection and the 526TID-HDD for the TZT2 transducer selection.

In the Sounder setup menus there are two items "Bottom Level" and "Gain Offset" that can be adjusted for HF and LF. The settings which I assume are default for both sounders are -24 for HF and -4 for LF.

What do these settings mean and what do they do? For example, what would change by setting them both to zero (0)?

I also wanted to add that the TM260 seems to be much less susceptible to turbulence than the TM54. Any speed above 6-7 kts impacted the TM54 and the TM260 signal is clean up to about 15 kts. Same bracket location, all I did was swap transducers.

MarMax":1qkv76hp said:
In the Sounder setup menus there are two items "Bottom Level" and "Gain Offset" that can be adjusted for HF and LF. The settings which I assume are default for both sounders are -24 for HF and -4 for LF.

What do these settings mean and what do they do? For example, what would change by setting them both to zero (0)?

Default settings for "bottom level HF and LF" and "gain offset" is 0.

Bottom level HF and LF are used when you are not getting a depth number in your data box because the bottom reading is soft/weak.

Gain offset helps balance out your gain between the HF and LF, if one seems higher than the other. (not really used for the average person).

Here is a digital copy of your OPS manual, all that information is covered in the OPS manual.

https://furunousa.com/-/media/sites/fur ... manual.pdf

I also wanted to add that the TM260 seems to be much less susceptible to turbulence than the TM54. Any speed above 6-7 kts impacted the TM54 and the TM260 signal is clean up to about 15 kts. Same bracket location, all I did was swap transducers.

The 165T-TM54 is for the DFF3D, that beam width is like 5 times wider than a B260, so of course it is more likely to pick up turbulence off the back of your boat and get washed out. The faster you go, the more air bubbles.

kicker":977cxvfa said:
Default settings for "bottom level HF and LF" and "gain offset" is 0.

Gain offset helps balance out your gain between the HF and LF, if one seems higher than the other. (not really used for the average person).

Thanks kicker, I was hoping to get a bit more on these in terms of what relative processing is being done by adjusting bottom level and gain offset higher or lower. It sounds like this is more of a try it and see what it does type of thing. I'm constantly editing my sounder cheat sheets and like to take what's in the manual and add some additional info. My -24 and -4 settings must have been from the B117 so I'll need to do some testing on the water to see what the B164 likes the best.

It's also interesting that the DFF1 software upgrade did not change these settings. I figured that the DFF1 update would have reset the unit to factory settings, hence my assumption that -24 and -4 were default.

Interpreting the TZT2 manual is a bit tricky since the sounder section covers many devices and does not always specify which setting is for each different sounder.

kicker":977cxvfa said:
The 165T-TM54 is for the DFF3D, that beam width is like 5 times wider than a B260, so of course it is more likely to pick up turbulence off the back of your boat and get washed out. The faster you go, the more air bubbles.

OK, got it relative to the TM260, makes sense.

EDITED to add: In playing around more with the settings (in the garage with Tx = OFF) I noticed that the "Interference Rejection" menu item is not available on the TZT when the sounder selected is the TZTL12F. Note that the TM260 is connected to the TZT2 and the B164 is connected to the DFF1. I'm running the TZT2 with the DFF1 as the selected sounder. I know this is a strange configuration but wanted to mention it. I wanted to set Interference Rejection to OFF on all the sounders so had to use the TZT2 and select its internal sounder to set it to OFF since I could not do it with the TZT.

Back