Choosing a new radar

colemj

Furuno Fan
I am getting a new TZT2 and radome. The past radome was a DRS4D, which I loved. My main use is navigation, with particular needs being ARPA, small target sensitivity in rougher weather and longer distances, and ability to track squalls. I used a friends DRS4D-NXT and was not very impressed with the sensitivity. No matter how I adjusted it, it performed worse than our DRS4D. But I realize that isn't necessarily a good test.

The DRS4D-NXT would be easier and less expensive to couple with the TZT2.

What are the major practical usage differences between the DRS4D and the NXT version? I understand the operating differences between pulse and solid state. I'm not sure fast target tracking is important to me, but good ARPA performance is. So is determining weather and squalls.

Given the above, which would you recommend? If the DRS4D, then which power supply does that need for the TZT12F?

Mark

The NXT is excellent but due to being solid state it is important that wedge mounts are used with smaller boats. You can't beat the punch of a magnetron if you are looking for very small targets at a long distance or weather. It sounds like to me the the DRS4D would be your better choice for what you are asking. Both units have excellent ARPA. I have never seen another brand beat Furuno ARPA. Not even close. The NXT offers up to a 100 targets (4D offers 30) but most people have no need to track that many at once.

Thanks Johnny,

Can you explain the wedge mount thing? This will be mounted on a sailing catamaran about 30' up the mast on a platform.

Does the NXT detect squalls and rain well? Enough to track them like the 4D?

I agree about the Furuno ARPA quality - one of the main reasons we are staying with Furuno. I must have read the brochure incorrectly, because I thought it said the NXT could only track 10 targets.

If I go with the 4D, which power supply does it need for the TZT2? The online information is not clear - it says either one, but I don't think that is true.

You can use the PSU017 power supply if you use the DRS4D radar scanner. The wedge mount applies to small center consoles that the bow raise up when when on plane, resulting in radar signal going skyward instead out in front of the boat. Yes the NXT can see weather. It has very good long range for solid state. It is also the only solidstate that I have seen light a raycon (1 km away on average). It is a difficult choice. If it was me, I would use the NXT but each has its advantages. Either should work well for you.

Can I have some input as well? I have similar questions. I'm trying to understand if the DSR4-NXT model will fit my needs. I am primarily interested in tracking storms/weather/rain and being able to navigate around other targets such as boats and obstructions. I previously had a 36 mile 24" dome that went with the Navnet VX2 and was very happy with it. Will I get the same performance? I don't want to lose capability. Thanks

You might have a bit less weather punch through but it will offer much more in low power consumption, advanced target tracking, and target analyzer (Doppler). Given the choice for my boat, I would choose the NXT.

I'm a bit less interested in the difference between the 4D and NXT abilities to punch through weather as I am the difference in the abilities to actually see and track weather squalls. In the past, solid state radars have been very poor at detecting rain. I also want to be able to see the small sailboat or fishing boat rolling around in the waves 6nm out. In the past, solid state radars were good docking aids, but became pretty poor in real navigation use.

I think the 4D we had was the best performing consumer dome radar I have ever used, and I want similar performance out of our next one. Thus, I'm trying to determine how close the NXT is to the 4D in radar performance. I expect that they will have similar ARPA performance (again, the best in the industry).

To be succinct, the ONLY reason I am buying Furuno is for the exceptional and industry-leading radar performance. Most of my charting and planning is done on a computer, and the chartplotter is simply a follow-along at the helm. Furuno ruined me with radar performance, which means I buy one of their chartplotters just to go along.

The NXT would be preferable, but only if its performance with weather and small targets at medium range is close to the 4D.

If the DRS4D and NXT both have 25 degrees of vertical beam width why is the wedge more important on the NXT?

There is no hard and fast rule. It depends on each particular situation, need, expectation, and boat.

NickBoE,

Even though the DRS4D-NXT has a Vertical Beamwidth of 25 Degrees, the center of the beam angle has the strongest radar returns. So I recommend optimizing the radar beam for use in both close and distance ranges by wedging the beam's center just below the horizon when the vessel at slow speeds, and on the horizon when the vessel is underway at full speed.

This is my boat- Without the NXT dome in the second picture you can see the bow high and the mast mount tilted back. The first photo is the NXT mounted on the boat WITHOUT the wedge. I have now added the wedge and will update with another picture.

If I loose a bit of distance to ensure excellent coverage in the boat out to 4miles, I would be happy. I usually am depending on radar at slower speeds, but you can see how off the angle is without the wedge. I would have to use the boat's trim tabs to get the bow down and I would loose some mpg doing so. 51880959_10218310254777419_2504167084066340864_n.jpg10687101_10204931940807931_6891409179122815277_n.jpg

Back