AIS Data from ICOM 506 into 1920 and 1720

Johnny,

No luck getting AIS targets on my VX2. I'm getting readable data on the port monitor 2 - mostly $GPRMC sentences but there is an occasional !AIVDM that shows up every 3 or 4 pages. Here is a pic with of the port monitor:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kjCc-IzAsvyPml1bEoTsxlXS2UISf6NE/view?usp=sharing

You can see the !AIVDM about 1/3 of the way down from the top of the page.

I have a VesperXB-8000 AIS transponder on my N2K network and my Garmin is properly displaying targets via N2K. When I checked, there was a target in the same marina, maybe 100' away but nothing on the VX2.

While everything was connected, I unplugged the IF-NMEA from the N2K backbone, waited a few minutes and plugged it back in, but this didn't change anything.

My program number is: 195002404.03, 07*

Any other suggestions about what to check?

Johnny, please disregard the previous post.

I found a different thread on here last night that talked about changing colors for tracks and marks. Made a color change today (and picked AIS targets only instead of both ARPA - which I don't have- and AIS) and boom, the target was on-screen. Didn't play with it to determine if it was the color change or the AIS target display only, but it's now working.

Thanks for all your help to get this to work!

Johnny, working with my new transducer and DFF1 sonar, I did a reset of the VX2 and am now having intermittent AIS display on the chart plotter. I am getting AIS data on Port 2 in the Port Monitor. I've had 2 occasions now when I get a proximity alarm and all of a sudden the targets are on my display, but most times they are not visible on the chart plotter screen. I've tried the color change and the AIS targets, but no consistent result. Any suggestions?

It sounds like you either have a megawide chart card that is bogging down the system or you have some sort of data loop going on slowing down the machine. You chart card should support the East coast or the West coast but not both. There are some megawide charts that just have too much data. I would guess based on what you say, you have a data loop. You might want to call into tech support to see if they can find the setup problem with you ports and output through network..

Thanks Johnny, I have the C-MAP MAX NA-M022 - U.S. East Coast & The Bahamas - SD Card and it is loaded with information beyond the chart data. I'll see if I can turn off some of those features and call tech support if I can't get it to work.

Not sure what happened, but AIS targets now seem to appear regularly on my display. Does take a little while for them to appear, and occasionally it seems to be missing one or two, but mostly solved for now. Thanks again Johnny.

Back