(165T-50/200-SS260 Combo transducer) VS (B275LHW & 165T-B54)

gtstang462002

Furuno Super Fan
I am in the process of upgrading all of my electronic in my 46' Sportfishing boat. Currently I fish the Chesapeake bay and am torn between going with a single 165T-50/200-SS260 Combo transducer that utilizes the B165 elements for 50/200 or running 2 separate transducers, B275LHW & 165T-B54, to get a wider beam on the 200Khz chirp. Number of through hulls does not bother me as I already have 3 in the bottom of the boat now that will have to remain if I do not fill the holes. The price difference is negligible considering the overall cost of the system that I am putting in. This is really the only piece of the system that I am hung up on my final decision.

Additional info:
Current plans are to head down to Oregon Inlet in about 2 years and will be adding the deep impact and 3KW transducer at that time to the system for offshore fishing.

Thanks for any insight that you can provide towards this.
Bobby

Good morning gtstang462002,

Thank you for your inquiry.

You have a difficult decision to make, but I am envious!

Our parent company would say, "Challenge the Future." So that is what we will try to do, give you some ideas to not only have a great working system today/tomorrow, but also try and provide some guidance for the future.

We would like to know what MFD/Fish Finder you will drive the the B165 or B275LHW?

It is really hard to compare the 50/200 B165 and the B275LHW, they are such different animals. I think both would be suitable for the Chesapeake and provide fine results. But if we look to the future we must consider the type of fishing that you could be doing later on.

You mentioned a DI-FFAMP (Deep Impact) box so you either have a TZT3 MFD or plan to get one in the future. If you have (2) TZT3 MFD's then you could operate a B275LHW on one unit and operate a low/medium frequency transducer on the Deep Impact that is connected to the other unit.

That would give you a high power low frequency chirp, a high power medium frequency chirp, a 1kw low frequency chirp, and a high wide chirp that has been an excellent choice for many years for pelagic fishermen. You would also have the DFF3D available for wide scanning pelagic fishing and also bottom fishing to help find structure. The medium frequency chirp has also been a good frequency for bottom fishing because it has tighter beam angles than a true low frequency, but not quite as tight as a narrow high frequency, but because it is a medium frequency you will get much more depth out of it when compared to a high frequency narrow beam.

I think that would be one heck of a combination.

C-Bass

I have already purchased and installed
Tzt3 12” times 2 side by side
Dfff3d module for use of the wide 120 degree bottom
Pm488 165/265lh pocket combo chirp with 3D and motion elements transducer.

My question is, in the transducer set up on the mfd, this combo ducer is not listed, but i know this transducer is a combo, and within the combo there is a b265lh element in it, do I select that in the menu?

C-Bass":2q1kuude said:
Good morning gtstang462002,

Thank you for your inquiry.

You have a difficult decision to make, but I am envious!

Our parent company would say, "Challenge the Future." So that is what we will try to do, give you some ideas to not only have a great working system today/tomorrow, but also try and provide some guidance for the future.

We would like to know what MFD/Fish Finder you will drive the the B165 or B275LHW?

It is really hard to compare the 50/200 B165 and the B275LHW, they are such different animals. I think both would be suitable for the Chesapeake and provide fine results. But if we look to the future we must consider the type of fishing that you could be doing later on.

You mentioned a DI-FFAMP (Deep Impact) box so you either have a TZT3 MFD or plan to get one in the future. If you have (2) TZT3 MFD's then you could operate a B275LHW on one unit and operate a low/medium frequency transducer on the Deep Impact that is connected to the other unit.

That would give you a high power low frequency chirp, a high power medium frequency chirp, a 1kw low frequency chirp, and a high wide chirp that has been an excellent choice for many years for pelagic fishermen. You would also have the DFF3D available for wide scanning pelagic fishing and also bottom fishing to help find structure. The medium frequency chirp has also been a good frequency for bottom fishing because it has tighter beam angles than a true low frequency, but not quite as tight as a narrow high frequency, but because it is a medium frequency you will get much more depth out of it when compared to a high frequency narrow beam.

I think that would be one heck of a combination.

C-Bass
C-Bass,

Thank you for your response. I am going with 2 TZT3 displays, one 12" and one 19". For as pricy as this upgrade is, I am putting off the DI-FFAMP until I am actually heading to the ocean. In the bay I spend 95% of my time trolling for Rockfish, Cobia, Spanish macks, etc. in the middle region of the bay. For the limited amount of time that I spend bottom fishing, I have little "honey holes" that I anchor in and always produce as many small panfish as anyone cares to clean. I typically don't even look at the sounder when I am going to those locations. I have been leaning towards the B275LHW & 165T-B54 combo, and I believe your statements have solidified me heading in that direction.

For anyone that is interested, the system that I am ordering and installing in my boat is:
TZT3 19" and 12" diplays
DRS25ANXT/6
DFF3D blackbox
probably B275LHW & 165T-B54 transducers
711C Autopilot
SCX20 heading compass
DST-810MSF triducer (really only after the water speed from this)
FLIR M232

I am anticipating getting most of the system in my hands by the 1st week of December and having most of it installed by the middle to the end of December. I am being told that he radar is on backorder and expected to ship early January.

Back