XL black box?

buckshot

Furuno Super Fan
Is there any talk about a new BB that will be coming with the new MFD's? Would love to see something that has all the bells and whistles and support 3 monitors.

There is a black box MFD planned for TZTXL, but specifications and delivery time are unknown at this time. Stay tuned to furunousa.com for more information when it becomes available.

Excuse my ignorance... but what does a black box do? Is it just a MFD without display? Why would one need A Black Box? Isn't an TZT3 or TZTXL all that is needed?

Excuse my ignorance... but what does a black box do? Is it just a MFD without display? Why would one need A Black Box? Isn't an TZT3 or TZTXL all that is needed?
It is a processor box with the various ports but designed to use an external monitor. Usually they are seen on larger boats.in You're right in that it basically everything that is incorporated into an MFD minus the display screen, although they have some added capabilities such as being able to support more than one screen.

also following,
adding a new BB and monitor to an existing TZT3 system would give you access to the new charts on the monitor and the existing TXT3

Until a BB version comes out you can always run Time Zero on a small computer. I was very happy with my TZT3 helm and didn’t want to tear my dash up especially since all the XL sizes match up poorly to existing TZT3 displays. Now I have all the new features of XL plus a few addtl things.

Attachments

• IMG_1800.jpeg
    IMG_1800.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1802.jpeg
    IMG_1802.jpeg
    241.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1803.jpeg
    IMG_1803.jpeg
    288 KB · Views: 28
Once I turn on breaker to electronics yes I just hit power button and pc starts. I have it set up for touch screen on Furuno display as well as a wireless trackball and keyboard. Computer is powered via dc power running from boats 24v system and electronics breaker. Victron voltage converter installed between power supply and unit gives exactly 20.4 volts.

Attachments

• IMG_1820.jpeg
    IMG_1820.jpeg
    268 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1821.jpeg
    IMG_1821.jpeg
    258.9 KB · Views: 16
The TZTBBX is now available, you can get more info here: https://www.furunousa.com/en/products/tztbbx
Thanks man but Furuno kinda sticks to marketing-oriented info and doesn't really cover nuts and bolts. They certainly don't tell you if two tzt3s can be used as monitors with the bbx and whether the physical controls on the 12f will work as designed with new operating system or are they just touchscreens at that point.

Thanks man but Furuno kinda sticks to marketing-oriented info and doesn't really cover nuts and bolts. They certainly don't tell you if two tzt3s can be used as monitors with the bbx and whether the physical controls on the 12f will work as designed with new operating system or are they just touchscreens at that point.
The TZT3 units that have a USB output and an HDMI input will function as a touchscreen monitor. I do not believe that the TZT12F has these features. Pretty sure that they are limited to the 16 and 19inch displays.

IMO the only thing that you would be gaining would be the charts and AI routing as you would still need to use the TZT3 units or black box as a sounder. Personal I am looking at buying a license for the TimeZero software and putting that setup on a micro computer to have the charting and AI routing option as a compliment to my TZT3 setup.

Back