Wiring For Two Batteries

remotecaptures

I have two batteries that I run off a battery selector switch and we alternate between which battery is being used every trip. I'd like my PSU-012, DRS12a, MFD12, and SCX20 to always run off the battery being used on any given trip. The battery being used will be continuously chaged by the engine which is rarely shut off during a trip. I believe all my grounds are connected on both batteries. Is the best way to wire my system up to the output of the battery selector switch or is there a better way to do it?

Thanks,

Pete

That is the simplest way to do what you want. The only issue might be the voltage drop when the starter is engaged, which if it is too great will make the units reboot. You could go a bit more complicated and get a Blue Seas automatic charging relay so you do not need to switch batteries to ensure both are charged.

To be a contrarian, I would avoid the acr. Your current program is better.

As far as wiring your system up…you might consider running a wire from the switch to a breaker, then to a fuse block, then perhaps, a switch panel…

Appreciate the advice, I would never connect something to a big battery without a fuse. I put a 40A in line fuse coming right off the battery (might lower it to a 20A). The line runs to a 12V/GND bus hiden behind a panel in the cabin where I grab 12V for the power supply, MFD, and NMEA 2k backbone.

Back