Want to overlay radar on chart

Scuttlebutt

Hey folks I have a navnet vx2 , RPU-015. I have a gps sensor gp-32 but no heading sensor on that system.

Seperately I have a Garmin SV95 echomap linked to a lowrance Point 1heading sensor.

All I want to do is overlay the radar over the furuno gps chart.

Questions;

1. Can I overlay radar to chart without a heading sensor?

2. If a heading sensor is required, can I somehow use the lowrance Point 1 (it is nmea 2000)

3. If I need a seperate sensor what is the cheapest way to go about it?

I've been doing a lot of googling but just confusing myself

Cheers,

Steve

1. Can I overlay radar to chart without a heading sensor?
No you must have some source of heading data input into the dedicated heading port in order to enable radar overlay of the Vx2.

2. If a heading sensor is required, can I somehow use the lowrance Point 1 (it is nmea 2000)
You can convert the NMEA 2000 heading data using a converter to NMEA 0183.

3. If I need a seperate sensor what is the cheapest way to go about it?
Depends on the boat and it's requirements. Non-metal ships not needing to meet IMO requirements a low cost flux gate is normally the lowest cost solution. The Lowrance should work for you if you convert the data and it is likely to be a lower cost option than buying a heading device. I have heard both good and bad things about the Lowrance heading but it should work well enough. Others with experience on the Lowrance might provide you better input.

Update****

So I got an Actisense NMEA converter, connected it up to the Lowrance Point 1 via the NMEA 2000 backbone, plugged into the data 3 port and it works!!!

Now have radar overlay on my chart as desired. Remarkably simple.

Just have it hooked up under the house at the moment and it appears my heading is off. I'll attempt to callibrate it when I take the boat out next, but happy with the progress so far..

Back