VX2 wont power up when radome connected

Scuttlebutt

Hey folks,

I've bought a used radar setup, VX2 black box with MU-120C display. Seperate BB control panel with thumbwheel. Radome ser number R174-4676, IC is RTR057.

It came with a GPS sensor and a DFF1 sounder box.

Unfortunately when the previous owner took it down they cut the radar cable near the radome. They left the plugs in situ.

Today I've gone through and re-soldered every wire to their appropriate places on the three plugs, like for like. Including the brown wire with the woven copper sheath.

Also re-connected the main cable sheilding and grounded it to frame of radar.

Problem is, when the radar cable is plugged into the black box, the green power light flashes once very quickly but does not power-up.

Without the radar plugged in the system will power up and show location via the GPS sensor and I can hear the transducer ticking away as well.

So it seems to work fine but when the radar is plugged in it wont even switch on.

I experimented by completely unplugging the radar cable from the radome and the black box will still not switch on if the radar cable is connected to it. To me this would suggest the cable is shutting things down but I have no expertise here.

Wondering if I've stuffed up in re-soldering the connections or any other things to try.

cheers,

Steve.

There is a short and the NavNet senses it and refuses to turn on and smoke. I would recommend disconnecting the cable at both ends and ringing it out ensuring all wires are connected and none are shorted to each other.

Back