VX2 compatibility with existing 1942 Mk2 antenna

A

Anonymous

Hi there,
I have a Furuno 1942 mk 2 radar on my boat. Its setup with the 4 ft open array antenna. The unit works fine but is getting older of course. My boat also has a Navnet VX2 system with completely separate power and a 3 ft antenna.

Would it be possible to remove the 1942 head unit and replace it with a newer VX2? I found this post that seems to suggest it is possible!

http://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-elec ... 20vx2.html

I would consider this if it wasn’t a giant can of worms to deal with. Used VX2 stuff is pretty inexpensive these days.

I don’t necessarily care about networking the additional VX2 unit into my existing VX2 system but if that was possible without jeopardizing the redundant nature of my radar setup that could be interesting too.

Chris

Yes, you can use the 1942Mk2 antenna with a 10.4"/BB NavNet. Same scanner cable, just plug and setup the Vx2 like it was a 1944C radar unit. You could also network your existing NavNet with this new one as long has you don't exceed more than four total NavNets on the network. Not much pain involved.

That is really neat and networking all my existing VX2 stuff in would be awesome! I'm going to look around for a 10.4 unit!

Back