Vector Charts with Most Contour Detail

MarMax

Furuno Super Fan
I have the C-Map SDVJNAM024MAP15.dbv vector charts installed on my TZT and I'd like to have more contour detail. Is this something that I can modify with the MFD to show more contours or is this a limit of the mapping product? In looking at the Navionics charts online, they appear to have contours every foot.

I also like to use the depth shading feature quite a bit and would like to know if it's resolution is based on the underlying chart. That is, if a higher resolution chart is used (less depth change per contour line), will the shading follow accordingly?

C-map offers a separate fishing bathy chart with great contours. The Navionics version tends to have their contours on the same Navigation chart. You have a couple of options. 1) upgrade your existing c-map chart to the newest version and get the free fishing bathy chart (promo offered by C-map in areas that have the bathy available like yours), or do a competitive upgrade and by a licence to the Navionics. Before you purchase anything, I would recommend you e-mail a Lat/lon to Technical support asking for some screen shot examples of both options so you can decide which you prefer. Because you currently have a c-map licence for that area, an upgrade is half off normal list price. That will save you either way you decide to go. Make sure to tell your dealer you are ordered an upgrade or competitive upgrade, otherwise they will most likely charge you full price.

In regards to the three D shading, it is based on the underlying 3D files (charts) so you will want to keep those updated. The shading is not based on the C-map or Navionics underlying chart.

Great information Johnny! And I've got a couple more questions now based on your response.

Regarding the depth shading and free 3D charts, I've got the following files installed, which seem to be current based on the Furuno USA web site.

SDNA05TIN01.dbt - 3D Data for West Coast US and Mexico
SDUS02FISHMAP01.dbb - West Coast Fishing Chart

I don't think these files have been updated since 2017, which is when I purchased the oldest MFD.

Regarding better contours in general, I'm inclined to stick with Cmap since I've already got it and it's just a $125 upgrade. Do you happen to know the contour interval of the Cmap fishing chart? And to confirm, I should get the $100 fishing chart for free if I do the $125 upgrade of my current Cmap product?

If you know the contour interval for the Cmap fishing chart I won't need to get screen shots from the tech staff. Thank you!

I don't know if they have a set interval because it is based on several surveys. The bathy line also tend to increase in detail as you range in closer. Each area can be different on which company is better so it is good to ask for some screen shots. There are some areas that Navionics covers better and others that C-map does. The advantage or disadvantage depending on how you view it is that C-map has a distinct bathy chart that allows you to toggle back and forth from fishing to Navigation charting. The Navionics has them combined.

And to confirm, I should get the $100 fishing chart for free if I do the $125 upgrade of my current Cmap product?

Under the current running program, that is correct. When you get the new unlock code for the navigation chart, you will also receive an unlock for the fishing chart for the same area (when available, like yours is).

In regards to the 3D data files, they have been changed a few times since 2008 when they were first developed. They are based on NOAA data so they are not changed often. I find they do tend to match up well to the depth data being spots being provided by most company navigation and bathy charts. The free fishing charts are not tied into using the 3D data file. The depth shading is. The sat photo overlay greatly uses the 3D data files also.

I confirmed with my vendor that the Cmap upgrade will include the fishing charts for free, so thanks for that information. I can't see switching to Navionics when I can upgrade and get the Cmap vector and fishing charts for $125. And hopefully with the upgrade the MLPA areas will stand out a little better than the tiny green line on my current version and that they are also shown on the fishing map.

Back