Unable to to connect VZ2 systems

I have two VX2. One screen I use for navigation and the other for Radar only.
My problem is that although they are connected together the Radar VX2 shows no GPS position for direction or position.
They are connected via the Network cable.

Go to the NN2 that has the GPS antenna attached and press Menu-System Configuration-System Setup-Port Setup-Output Through Network and ensure that only GGA, VTG and ZDA are on. Go to the other NN2 and ensure that nothing is turned on in Output Through Network AND press Menu-System Configuration-Nav Option-Nav Source Settings to ensure that Position Source is set to ALL.

Go to the NN2 that has the GPS antenna attached and press Menu-System Configuration-System Setup-Port Setup-Output Through Network and ensure that only GGA, VTG and ZDA are on. Go to the other NN2 and ensure that nothing is turned on in Output Through Network AND press Menu-System Configuration-Nav Option-Nav Source Settings to ensure that Position Source is set to ALL.
Followed directions and did turn off the GAA, VTG and ZDA (which were on). Also made sure Position Source was set to ALL.
The system still does not transfer data. I had to transfer the Radar cable to the new unit to have the radar work.

As a side note the original setup the Radar cable was attached to the same unit as GPS and Sounder. All did work perfectly on the other monitor. ( which was a GD 1900C). The reason that I replaced that monitor is the screen was delaminating.

Thanks for you help on this.... Where I am located the local people know nothing about Furuno.

Are you sure the two VX2's are connected directly via the network cable or is it possible there's a network switch somewhere? I had a similiar problem and didn't know there was a switch on board. The switch had gone bad in my case.

Thank you for your reply
I do not think there is switch, there is a blue network cable that attached to both boxes. (photo attached) with the old GD1900 the radar did run on it while the radar cable was attached to the VX2 box. Now to get the radar to run I have had to move the radar cable to the replacement VX2 box.
The problem must be with the "new" VX2 box.
The reason I want to keep the systems I have is
1) I really like what I have had over the years, and
2) I have another boat in Fort Lauderdale with the same systems.

Followed directions and did turn off the GAA, VTG and ZDA (which were on). Also made sure Position Source was set to ALL.
The system still does not transfer data. I had to transfer the Radar cable to the new unit to have the radar work.

As a side note the original setup the Radar cable was attached to the same unit as GPS and Sounder. All did work perfectly on the other monitor. ( which was a GD 1900C). The reason that I replaced that monitor is the screen was delaminating.

Thanks for you help on this.... Where I am located the local people know nothing about Furuno.
If all the settings and connections are correct, it's possible that the software in both NN2's are not the same. Please check the version of software in each and update.. To check software version, it can be seen on power up or by pressing Menu-System Configuration-System Setup-Test & Clear-Memory I/O Test-Display Unit Test...where it says Program Number, the last digit and the 2 after the decimal is the version. For example, 195002404.03, the version would be 4.03.

Yes... there is a different software level on each. The main has 4.02 and the new one has 4.03.
How do I upgrade the software?
Also, as a side note I did follow the cables and as Bathhouse mentioned there is a network box that both are attached.

I've requested some information in a conversation.
Can you tell if the network box (HUB/switch) is working? Do you see any lights? If so, is there a blinking green LED on the HUB/switch for each of the NN2s?

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
I was able to obtain the 4.03 software upgrade for the VX2 box that had the 4.02. When I loaded the new software I did disconnect the 4 data cables at the back of the box.
Yes the HUB/switch has 3 cables running into it and all three lights are blinking green. I also confirmed that the network is set on GGA, VTG and ZDA on one box and off on the other.
I still cannot use the "Echo Avg" or see the heading line on my radar unit.

You'll need heading input into the NN2 display (Data 3) that has the radar physically plugged into it. That heading can come from a heading sensor (i.e. PG500 or other).

The boat is docked in an area that the only electronics technician near is not at all familiar with Furuno.
He has been on the boat many times but is just not familiar. That is why I am seeking help.
If this is somewhat of an easy fix I can try him again.
The original installer of All the Furuno equipment was a good guy named John Berry.
The original screen was my radar screen but became delaminated. That is why I had it replaced..
As a side note the cable coming from the Radar arch was connected to the VX2 unit along with all the other cables.
Now the radar unit will only work if the cable is connected to the "new VX2" unit.

I have a Furuno auto pilot and I believe the PG500 is down near the rudders under the deck.
There is a cable that is connected to Data 3.

Ensure that the autopilot is turned on and look at the upper right of radar screen...do you see correct heading displayed? If yes, then you should have the features you mentioned (echo avg and heading line).

Really appreciate the time and trouble you are doing to help.. Thank you...
The system I have is the NAVpilot-711
Noticed that the heading display is ok but there is no position data. (I never has the display set to show position). In the past there has been a problem with no heading data and therefore the auto pilot did not work. The marine electronics service person was able to get the heading data working but when ask, he told me he was not sure what he did to get it up and running.
Short story is that we cruise over 1,000 miles every summer on Lake Michigan and I have a similar boat in Lauderdale and we cruise again over 1,000 miles. Same electronics on both boats. In short we use this equipment and do love it.

Forgot to mention that there is no heading display on the radar unit.
You'll need heading in order for the echo avg and heading line to work. Heading needs to come in on Data3 on the display with the radar cable physically plugged into it. Heading should not be turned on in Output Through Network on any display (Menu-System Configuration-System Setup-Port Setup-Output through Network).

All the cables are attached to the monitor on the left. The one on the right was replaced because of original screen was delaminating. The Radar would not work unless I moved the radar cable to that monitor..
Should I then move Data 3 (auto pilot) cable to my now radar screen tempImagetXH6jK.png

All the cables are attached to the monitor on the left. The one on the right was replaced because of original screen was delaminating. The Radar would not work unless I moved the radar cable to that monitor..
Should I then move Data 3 (auto pilot) cable to my now radar screen View attachment 5446
Yes. The Data3 (heading input) MUST be on the display where the radar cable is plugged in.

Still sounds like a network issue to me. First you said there was not network switch (Post #5), then in Post #9 you describe a HUB/Switch? When I had a Vx2 system and they started to not see things, it turns out it was the switch - even with the lights on and blinking (Although, i suppose it could have been a faulty cable as well.

Perhaps one of the Mods can describe how to link the 2 units together and bypass the switch to see if you can get the radar to be shared across the network.

I really do appreciate this help. This is not in any way my expertise.
Yes there is a HUB/Switch and the three cables going in have blinking green lights. At the time I did not realize what that box was all about.

I was on the boat today and did move the Data 3 cable to the "Radar" unit but with no success. There was a similar looking cable connected to Data 2 and I tried to swap that one over but again no luck.
This maybe a case where I will just live with the issue. I do like Furuno systems and as I mentioned I own two identical systems. This system on a 48ft and the other (pictured here) is a 36'.
This coming weekend we will be cruising to Northern Michigan for the month of July.

Want to thank Bayhouse and Reaper for your help.
Yesterday I did print out all your posts and suggestions. I walked though all thinking maybe I missed something. No success.
For me this is really a minor feature and it all started when the original 19000 monitor developed delamintion and I replaced it with VX2.
I still like the system and will be cruising for the next couple of months
Thanks again
Bill

Back