TZtouch3 Sounder with Furuno TM275LHW-12P Transducer

graverobber

I bought my setup and had it installed summer 2022. I was building a new home at the time which I moved into in March 2023 so just now really starting to use my new electronics. I live on SE Florida coast and was trolling offshore this past weekend. It seems that once I got past 300-400 ft of water the sounder stopped working, even at idle. We did end up in 1000 ft of water and occasionally the numerical reading would pop up but that was sporadic and nothing else. Once back in 300 or so feet of water it started working again. Even then however the screen just browns out when I go past an idle. I should confess upfront that I'm just learning the basics on this machine. I also have the Furuno DRS12 radar and I'm getting used to screen setups and swiping but SO MUCH to learn!! Thanks for any help, its appreciated.

Can you supply a photo from your sensor list of the MFD so we can see what items you have connected?
(Home - Settings - Initial Setup - SENSOR LIST)
It almost sounds like your depth is coming from a smart sensor or only from a HF source. If you have a high wide the depth will drop off even sooner as the beam power is being used over a larger area. It is normally to use a LF source of depth for deeper waters.
Maybe also provide some photos of the DATA SOURCES selection under the same menu path, so we can see what is being used as primary.

Hey Johnny, thanks for quick reply. Mike @ Furuno in WA said I would be in good hands if I got your help! I just went out and took a pic of the sensor list as you asked. I also changed my "ocean depth" to under keel instead of sea level, hope that was ok. Let me know what you see in the sensor list... I noticed right away that it says TZT2?? I have a TZT3. EDIT... oops, I think it just says I have the 12" screen. I'm heading back out to take photos of DATA SOURCES, thanks!!!
GraveRobber

Attachments

• IMG_0676.jpg
    IMG_0676.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0677.jpg
    IMG_0677.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0679.jpg
    IMG_0679.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Okay so you have a TZT3 12" with v3.01 software using the internal sounder as your source of depth.
I would recommend upgrading the TZT3 to current software by using the wi-fi update. Just connect your TZT3 up to the marina wifi or your phone as a hot spot and give it a few minutes and it should pop up and offer to upgrade your unit (to v3.5). Next after upgrading, I would flip over to the sounder page and put your sounder on DUAL freq so you have both LF and HF working. Then put the sounder in "AUTO CRUSING" as you go out to fish. This should allow the sounder to change ranges automatically trying to keep digital depth. The sounder needs to see bottom to tell you how far away it is from you. If the sounder loses bottom, you will lose digital depth also. Normally in deeper waters it is the LF side that is used because it goes deeper. If you lose depth, flip over and take some photos of what the LF and HF looks like on the sounder screen. When you get to the fishing area, flip the sounder to AUTO FISHING. Do you know the model of the transducer they installed? If not, maybe see what they have setup under the FISHFINDER menu under transducer setup. Don't change anything; just look.

Sorry missed the title with the transducer model (TM275LHW-12P).
Yes, because your low side is dissipating the signal over a larger area (wide beam) it won't go as deep. When in deeper waters to keep bottom you will need to run dual or just switch over to LF (low Freq)

Thank you Sir! Do AUTO CRUISING and AUTO FISHING do the same work of switching automatically between HF and LF? Also, is it OK to continue to ask questions here? One that comes to mind is is the "chirp" function available on my unit? Is it supposed to chirp when it marks a fish? Thanks for your help!!

You're sort of mixing issues. When you enable auto fishing or auto cruising, it will set the gain and clutter automatically for both low and high frequencies. If what you want is to see bottom on the sounder when in deep water, first be sure that you have enabled auto range or set the range manually to a depth greater than the water depth. The sounder is not able to switch automatically between low and high. It is sending out pulse for both low and high all the time it is operating. You can choose which one to display (or display both) but you cannot turn them off individually.

It would not be surprising for the high frequency side of a B275LHW to stop reading bottom past 300-400 feet. However, the low frequency should work to over 1200-1500 feet. If you have your sounder display set to "single frequency", down in the lower left corner of the screen so will see a little bar that says "LF/HF". Just tap "LF" to switch to showing the low frequency output when in deeper water. As I mentioned, there is no automated switching of the frequency displayed as far as I know.

Whether your sounder is operating in CHIRP mode depends upon which "Preset Frequency" setting is in use. You can have three customized choices. If you set one as "Auto CHIRP", your sounder will operate in CHIRP mode.

As for asking questions, I am sure Furuno set up the forum for exactly that purpose so you should certainly take advantage of it. One advantage of the forum is that there are many other folks who have experience operating these systems who may have helpful suggestions to supplement what the Furuno techs provide. If you are trying to troubleshoot a specific problem, you should call Furuno tech support, ideally from your boat. You will find they are extremely helpful and patient and can walk you through steps to identify a problem and solve it. Unlike some other companies, there is usually almost no wait to get through.

Thank you VERY much. I have been a bit overwhelmed and feeling I'm in over my head with the TZT3. Now I think that with help like this, it will all work out. Thanks again!!!

Thank you VERY much. I have been a bit overwhelmed and feeling I'm in over my head with the TZT3. Now I think that with help like this, it will all work out. Thanks again!!!

After a while it will become much simpler. Most people just use a subset of all the features and settings. After a few weeks, you will have become comfortable with the features you use regularly and have adjusted the settings to your taste for items such as the chart displays. A lot of stuff you really only have to do once. For example, it is helpful to experiment with different presets for the sounder frequencies. After a while, I settled on having one that is regular auto CHIRP, one that is 210Hz/60Hz fixed frequency, and one that is 170Hz/40Hz fixed frequency. Other things just require a bit of practice such as creating and using routes or manually tuning the radar (although it works well in full auto).

Back