TZtouch2 vs TZtouch3

Casboating

Good evening,
I will be outfitting a new boat and plan on going with two 12" MFD's. I like the all glass look of the 2 vs the 3. I understand that I will not be getting dual channel chirp with the 2. Are there any other features/options I will be losing by not going with the 3? If I want to add chirp capability to the 2 will I just need to add the DFF1-UHD and a chirp transducer? The equipment will be installed on a 24' Twin Vee and be used for coastal marsh fishing and offshore grouper and snapper fishing. All suggestions are appreciated and opinions if I'm making a mistake by not going with the 3 just because I prefer the glass look.

Here are a few I can think of, besides the sounder difference you pointed out.

- TZT3 has abilities to conduct Fishing mapping using the BBWX4 (as can TZT2BB)
- TZT3 has abilities to conduct PBG bottom mapping using the DFF3D (as can TZT2BB)
- TZT3 can split the screen into 4 quadrants (as can TZT2BB but other TZT2 is 3 split max)
- TZT3 can show input voltage of MFD in data box
- TZT3 12" has two network ports (12" TZT2 has one; which isn't a big deal with most having a hub anyways)
- TZT3 has a faster CPU and more memory (same CPU and memory used in TZT2BB)

I have a TZT 2 12 on my small boat and TZT 3 16s on my larger boat. think the main difference if you do not plan to have an elaborate system on your boat that includes a DFF-3D and high powered sounder is the speed and responsiveness. Except for zooming in and out on the charts, which is similar, the TZT 3 is noticeably faster.

Personally I think CHIRP is somewhat oversold for most inshore fishing. My small boat uses a simple and inexpensive B60 non-CHIRP transducer with the TZT 2. It works great for inshore fishing. Sure, the TZT 3 CHIRP sounder is somewhat better especially in water over 250-300 feet when using high frequency but my TZT 3 also is driving high performance transducers that cost 10 times more than the B60 so it isn't really a fair comparison. What really does help is having the DFF-3D with the bottom mapping and the wide beam for trolling offshore that will show fish and bait off to the sides of the boat.

If money were no object, you would get a TZT 3 and a DFF-3D box and the best performing CHIRP transducers that will fit your boat. That would be just about triple the cost of a pair of TZT 2s, however, and I doubt you would catch many more fish.

Back