TZTouch 2/DFF-3D Triple Beam Auto vs Manual Range Settings

Smiler

We just started our bluefin tuna season here (San Diego). Generally we are out in fairly deep water, 3000’ plus. As our quarry and its forage generally swims in the top of the water column say 200-300’, I’d like to set the range when in the triple beam mode to cover just this top part of the column. The goal of course is to maximize and if possible sharpen the fish/bait returns in the top 300’ or so of the water column.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Smiler,

Here are a few tips that you might use for your DFF3D:

General Information
Beam angle and beam width only affects the triple beam view; best to start narrow at 20/20/20 or 30/30/30; when use in the water column, then widen to 40/40/40 when looking for hard vs. soft bottom (more evident in side beams); look for a tail echo in the side beams for hard vs. soft bottom

The transducer contains 8 little transceivers (elements) port to starboard (called beam forming); this is done by phasing the TX and RX

Cross Section and 3D History
When using this view the beams are fixed at 120 degrees port/starboard and 8 Degrees fore/aft. If the History is not available, (swipe right) is a result of the memory being full.

Try running the Gain higher in order to see more targets; as a starting point try Gain = 80 for Triple Beam and Gain = 70 for Cross Section; if you are seeing too much
speckle you can just reduce the Gain.

You can also adjust the TVG Curves and the Clutter but you need to go to the menu to adjust; or try setting TX Pulse to Short-1 for better near-bottom fish separation; this is
especially true if the depth is less than 400 feet.

3D Sounder
Seabed Echo Calibration (higher is better); lower will take near bottom fish targets and blend with the bottom; higher calibration will provide you with more target separation.

Look at color scale at left of screen; red to white means shallower than present setting
Tap the "A" to switch to Manual; then tap on the low number or high number and you can set to desired depth It's worthwhile to take a setting from one limit to the other and see how it reacts.

The number of fish targets that can displayed, however the system will keep adding targets but then drop off the older ones.

Cross Section
For better fish separation try adjusting the Echo Smoothing (Distance) to either "Low" or "Off".

- Deep Blue :cool:

This is super helpful. It would be great if you could persuade the nice people in Japan to let all of you guys pool your knowledge of how best to use the DFF-3D (and other sounders) into a fishing-oriented manual.

The one mode that leaves me completely at a loss is the side scan. I have no idea how to tune it or what it is showing.

Thank you very much both of you. I was down at the boat today and figured it out. We are fishing BFT this weekend. I will both some screen shots when I return.

Quitsa":7se01w47 said:
This is super helpful. It would be great if you could persuade the nice people in Japan to let all of you guys pool your knowledge of how best to use the DFF-3D (and other sounders) into a fishing-oriented manual.

The one mode that leaves me completely at a loss is the side scan. I have no idea how to tune it or what it is showing.

I agree completely. I think that their competitors side scan offerings are much more detailed, but I believe that is in part because of the higher frequency that they operate at (400+Htz). There also isn't a lot of tuning options to the Furuno side scan.

Back