DFF3D and DFF1 Settings for Tuna

MarMax

Furuno Super Fan
With tuna season heating up here in SoCal I'd like some information on settings for the DFF3D and the DFF1 (B164) for searching the top 300 feet or so of the water column while running/trolling.

First is what DFF3D mode (triple beam or cross section) is best or if I should run both. And secondly, I was thinking of also running the DFF1 (B164) at 50khz and perhaps looking a little deeper. Maybe look to about 200 feet with the DFF3D and 300 feet with the DFF1.

To look at the widest swath I'm assuming a setting of 40/40/40 on the triple beam. I have the TZT2 12" and a TZT 9" to work with so also looking for any recommendations on the best screen layouts and perhaps sounder settings?

Every sounder install has many variables and what you are asking for doesn't exist. There are no magic settings that can be provided for each install, set for each type of fish. Adding to that, the user typically likes the settings to fit his particular taste of what he wants to see. Some like it HOT, some don't. I don't think you are going to get too many people jumping in here to take the hook you set. (pun intended) Tuna have very small air bladders and move way too quick to easily be seen. When you see tuna on a sounder it is normally from the turbulence kicked up from their tail. They will look like slashes on the screen (not arches). What you normally look for in seeking tuna is the smaller bait or squid that they feed upon. If you find user settings that make you and ALL other fisherman happy, I will send you a signed Furuno shirt. Just make sure to publish them here. :)
-- Johnny Electron

Yes Johnny, I was bored the other night and thought I'd put something up that may get some dialog going, especially since the big (100-300# west coast) bluefin are out and about now. Just little ones compared to the other coast but still an amazing fishery.

They are calling them wolf packs in terms of what you see on the sounder and usually only fishable when they are at 150 feet or less. Was hoping to see if there are any others out there playing around with and dialing in their Furuno sounders for offshore 300 feet and less viewing. Especially DFF3D settings.

I'm not able to get much off the local fishing boards when I ask a DFF3D question so figured I'd throw up a Hail Mary here.

CBASS, Im guessing thats 200ft and a split frequency view. Right? And it appears as though the high frequency side only registers bottom when there is turbulence. Or at least it appears to coincide. I don't think I have seen anything like that exactly can you explain what is going? The turbulence is caused by what exactly?

DeepSouth

Yes, about 200ft, split frequency, low on the left and high on the right.

Yes there is turbulence and the low frequency and high frequency are both experiencing the effects. Even though we are not losing bottom on the high frequency you can still see how the turbulence is affecting the blue/green layer. As that layer disappears on the high frequency you see the bottom on the low frequency disappear.

We were sitting on the hook, fishing on a ledge. It was rough that day, so the waves breaking on the hull was sending air over the transducer.

However, I only posted the picture to show what a New England Wolf Pack of Blue Fin looks like.

Back