TZT3 losing gps ant

Jsubzero

Furuno Super Fan
I have a brand new tzt3 running ver 2.5 I believe. When I set external GPS antenna, date and time is fine. Then, when the machine is powered off overnight or longer. I boot it up and the date and time are wrong again, it defaults back to its original GPS setting on tzt3. Why does the unit not hold its setting?

Jsubzero":1plhknl3 said:
I have a brand new tzt3 running ver 2.5 I believe. When I set external GPS antenna, date and time is fine. Then, when the machine is powered off overnight or longer. I boot it up and the date and time are wrong again, it defaults back to its original GPS setting on tzt3. Why does the unit not hold its setting?

Is it possible that your external GPS source is not powered up and locked on when the TZT 3 is booting up? If the PGNs from the external source are not yet available, the TZT 3 will switch to the next available source (internal in this case).

What do you see when you look at the "initial Settings" Data Source menu page after the boot up with the incorrect date and time? Does it show your external GPS source?

Is just the time wrong due to time zone? You need to set the offset.

Time of the units is set by the GPS and as Quitsa said, as based on your user setting of Time Offset. When the unit turns off, it will get the time/date again the next time it powers up. If the GPS is NMEA 2000 with clear view of the sky and that breaker was already on in advance; it might already have date/time ready to go. If you turn on the breaker at the same time, then it takes a GPS a little boot up and time to get the information to the bus. Keep in mind in a barn or under cover the GPS won't get good information until taken out to clear sky. No they don't store and keep time in the TZT3 with no power applied.

Jsubzero":1rjn99n3 said:
Waiting longer before booting it up worked so far! Thanks guys. :furuno

I have the same issue with having the TZT 3s use the GPS data from my SCX-20 satellite compass. If I turn everything on at once, the SCX-20 won't always have a fix by the time the MFDs boot up and they go to the second source. If I wait a while, most of the time the TZT3s will switch over to the SCX-20 since that is the preferred source in the settings. But the easiest thing is to just wait a minute from turning on the main electronics power before starting the MFDs. That way everything else on the network (SCX-20, AIS transponder, weather sensor, etc) will be up and visible on the NMEA 2000 network when the TZT3s boot up.

Back