TZT2 12 Reboot/Crash - Furuno Support

CBBeaty

Furuno Fan
If you search the forum you will find I have had a crashing problem with my starboard machine for 18 months or so. Using this forum and furuno's service support, I patiently worked thru the problem initially with John Kourne who helped identify duplicate waypoints and assisted in cleaning that up. This made the machine work better but the issue was not eliminated. As the frequency increased, I reached back out to John who put me in touch with Jeff Lantz. For the better part of 6-10 months, Jeff worked with me to identify the problem. He systematically sent Furuno techs to my house where they crawled all over the electronics checking all the crimps and shields. I replaced the group 31 batteries. Still the problem would occur. And it ALWAYS occurred at the latter part of a long fishing day and never just a 4-5 hour lunch and sandbar trip. He suspected power could be the issue since I troll alot offshore and perhaps the alternators weren't keeping up with the power demands of the stereo, radar, mfds, livewell etc. So he built me an inline voltage and amp monitor to track the numbers thru the day. Well towards the end of a recent trip the machine crashed and I went below and checked the power supply and it was golden so power was not an issue. At this point Jeff said send it in. I overnighted it on a Monday and they replaced the motherboard and had it back to me that Friday with all new motherboards.

Some may say I should have been more persistent and force a fix earlier. You need to understand that I fish offshore maybe 15-18 days a year. I also know someone who had the same issue and bench testing it at Furuno didn't solve it. Jeff was willing to hang with me every single step of the way and assured me if I stuck with him he would fix the problem.

Quite a testament to customer service in this day and time. I'm definitely glad I bought Furuno.

That is why I only buy Furuno! I have worked with many of my friends with a different manufacturers MFD and their experience was not the same.

I have the exact same problem ever since one of my tzt12s was purchased new. I sent in to Furuno and they couldn't get it to replicate the problem so they just sent it back. I've tried several times with tech support and get told the problem is on my end even though I have zero problems out of my other tzt2 mounted right beside the one that gives me trouble. Now it's out of warranty and I don't really have the money to replace. My experience with furuno customer service on this issue wasn't as good as yours.

Now on every other issue I've had the customer service is the best in the business.

when it crashes does it go dark and power button glow red and you can't restart? If it reboots itself, it could be the power supply. Crimps have to be good.

I've swapped power wires to each unit and still the same problem. Mine will cut itself on and off, dim or brighten itself (which in turn dims and brightens the other screen in the network), it has even thrown itself into the service mode before. Only way to stop it is to pull the fuse for a few hours. It has got to the point where it will do it early in the trip on occasion sometimes too.

Sending it in and not failing is what happened to my friend and is why I spent so much time with Jeff systematically over an 18 month period doing computer logs, nema 2000 logs and eventually the power supply charting. My machines are 3 years old this month. I was well out of warranty but because I documented it before it went out and then worked together to figure it out it was "no questions asked" on the return.

I'd open another service ticket and reference the first one you did when you sent it in for doing the same thing. If it is in fact the internal motherboard/hardware, it's not going to get better and arguably worse as time passes.

My 2 cents

Back