TZT13X tandem install questions

Bostonhatteras

First off, my limited experience with the pilot house unit tells me these machines are absolutely amazing! Boat is a series one 45' Hatteras convertible. open flying bridge and lower pilot house full helm. Components recently purchased and planning/being installed are two TZT13X units- one at each helm, DRS4D-NXT radome, SCX-20, and maybe a TZT12F as additional screen on flying bridge, because I already have it. Only pilot house unit has power at this time, didn't have accurate size waterproof terminals for flying bridge unit when it was mounted.

Questions;

Fan. Should I hear the fan running constantly? I'm assuming yes but its oddly noisy, like bearings noisy. If they are simply loud then no problem. It will never be heard when boat is underway.

SCX-20. SCX-20 can be pole mounted according to specs. I purchased the pole mount kit but its back ordered until September sometime and specs don't tell what the thread size is. Currently I have a Maretron GPS200 sensor mounted on a 12" Digital Antenna mast off the wings of a Seaview modular closed array pedestal which has all metal threads (not the cheap plastic threaded adapters supplied), which is mounted on top of the canvas covered half tower. The Maretron is well enough out of the way of the current radars beam. Will the pole mount for the SCX-20 thread directly onto the current mast with 1"-14 thread? Its a bit heavier than the Maretron and I'm just suspicious of my proposed mounting plan overall, thinking it may shake too much. Not many other mounting options without major surgery. Other wing on Seaview is a Maretron W200 weather station.

Maps. I opened my Time Zero account and purchased/downloaded USA charting. Did this from the pilot house unit connected to the boats own wifi. The download seems to have gone fine. How do I adjust ATONs and soundings on the chart? The ATON are tiny and I'd like them to be bigger. Also I can't get soundings on vector charts, only on raster. I have been through the layers button and I don't see any way to increase or decrease sounding or make the soundings numbers bigger or even have soundings numbers like a raster chart, same for ATONS. I did install the microSD card that came along with the units but what do they have on them? I got an exceptionally coarse coastline image with no detail after inserting microSD. The unit auto populated all nmea 2000 devices on the system and I swapped the soft keys to look for the Maretron GPS200 as current and preferred instead of internal gps sensor. It definitely plays nice with the Maretron. I'd like to have soundings numbers very similar to a raster chart

NAVPILOT. I'm occasionally getting a red warning at top of screen that reads LOST NAVPILOT CONNECTION. The boat has a Simrad AP44/48 nmea 2000 autopilot system in good working order. The sensors for the Simrad have been auto populated, that being rudder feedback, precision 9 Compass and control heads. How do I make sure the TZT13X only looks for the Simrad components? At the dock, I did hit 'GO TO' and hit NAV on the Simrad and the hydraulic helm pump started to do its thing, so they are clearly talking to each other.

HUB. Hub 101 versus Hub 102. I see Hub 101 is not waterproof and Hub 102 is waterproof.
For my first option, I have designed the system to have one Hub 101 in an electronics closet under the pilot house helm, however the in-box supplied waterproof cable to connect the Flying bridge TZT13X to the Hub 101 isn't long enough to snake all the way to electronics closet. This problem also affects the radome with its unique DC power and LAN combined cable style. Can I get a longer waterproof cable for the TZT13X that is maybe 10 meters?
Second option, I could install the Hub 102 inside the flying bridge and use the non waterproof Furuno LAN cables. I am assuming the Hub 102 provides a method of using non waterproof LAN cables with the Hub 102 making the connection into the hub waterproof or do I need the 'dual connector waterproofed' style even with the Hub 102?
Third option is a Hub 102 at flying bridge and a Hub 101 at pilot house with one 'single connector waterproofed' LAN cable running between the two hubs. This option would definitely give the most options moving forward. I did an internet search of the cables listed in the radome and TZT13X manuals but not much comes up...best vendor for these cables?

I hope I wrote the questions in an intelligible manner. This is my first current era experience with Furuno and I'm pretty impressed already. Thanks for the help! Russell

Last edited:
I wouldn't use the Furuno hubs, they're crazy expensive. Even the mods here recommend the Netgear hubs like this one from AMZ (They also have a 5 port option).

NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (GS108)

In general, I would recommend as few as possible hubs, way to many things to go wrong and I wouldn't want anything in a place exposed (or potentially) to water. I make my own custom ethernet cables so can't help you with that answer.

About your Navpilot - sounds like you have a wonky connection somewhere - when the red banner pops up, does the AP control head still function? If so, then your issue is likely with the N2K connection.

About your SCX20 pole mount delay, I bought one and ended up not using it, happy to sell to you at a good discount - just send me a message. A pic of your top would probably be very helpful to answer your questions.

I wouldn't use the Furuno hubs, they're crazy expensive. Even the mods here recommend the Netgear hubs like this one from AMZ (They also have a 5 port option).

NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (GS108)

In general, I would recommend as few as possible hubs, way to many things to go wrong and I wouldn't want anything in a place exposed (or potentially) to water. I make my own custom ethernet cables so can't help you with that answer.

About your Navpilot - sounds like you have a wonky connection somewhere - when the red banner pops up, does the AP control head still function? If so, then your issue is likely with the N2K connection.

About your SCX20 pole mount delay, I bought one and ended up not using it, happy to sell to you at a good discount - just send me a message. A pic of your top would probably be very helpful to answer your questions.
I don't have a navpilot, I have a simrad with 44 (pilot house) and 48 (flying bridge) control heads. Until this chartplotter swap, there was never an issue. The only nmea 2000 change was the two old plotters were disconnected and the new pilot house plotter was connected...all with nmea back bone powered down. I think it has more to do with where the TZT13X is looking for info on the backbone.

The problem with any hub is that the existing cable is too short to get into a place where the moisture/weather won't be an issue. It's my belief that the underside of a flying bridge mold isn't dry enough for office type computer equipment, hence longer cables or weatherproof hub.

I suppose I should have asked more directly about the SCX-20 mount, is the thread 1"-14 like all antenna mounts, antennas and antenna extenders worldwide?

Thanks for the reply my friend, happy boating to you!

Back