TZT vs FCV295 with R109/82B-35R

Campdog

Is there a reason people still use the FCV 295 with chirp transducers such as R109 (or even non chirp ducers 82B-35R for that matter as the TZ3 can use CW Freqs)

vs the option of pairing it with the TZT3 and DIFFAMP? You could even pair it with a Sat compass then.

I’m looking at setting up my smaller boat in Australia with better deep water capability. I currently have a TZT3 paired with a PM275LHW.
Money aside, does one work better than the other for the same transducer….. which way would you go?

It is always hard to direct someone with one unit over another as it is very subjective. A disclaimer I must give is that I like chirp, but I do not think it is the end all be all answer that is better than CW or frequency selectable ducers. It is better at some things, but not everything. I use these machines often so try to jump in on these threads when they come up and offer my experience.

The first thing I would do is forget the amp and get the DFF3-UHD network sounder. It is smaller and lighter than the amp and does the same job. You also are less restricted where you can put it. The amp has installation and distance requirements that limit where it can be put. My guess is the DFF3-UHD is going to be around for a while and will likely get more software updates along the way than the internal TZT3 sounder. That is just a guess. Price is the same and to me there is not benefit to getting the amp over the DFF3-UHD. I do believe buying the amp over the dff3-uhd may have possible future drawbacks.

I do not know if you have room to do this, but you could keep your transducer and add something like an R109LM. Now you have the HW covered for pelagics up higher, the M for bottom fishing/finding deeper pelagics/finding bait and the L for super deep performance. You would have all your bases covered. It is good to note that after a certain depth chirp transducers are picking a single frequency. To me chirp is less advantageous when talking about deep water fishing as it is acting mostly like a CW transducer depending on your depth.

I like the stand alone sounder machines for deep water if you are someone who is going to use bottom zoom/bottom lock and do adjustments with gain clutter TVG etc. I like chirp better for pelagic up high and inshore shallower water fishing.

FCV-295 benefits: better deep water adjustability and customization. You get an extra screen. You can run you current transducer on TZT3 screen while running the new transducer on the 295. (You will want to shut off the L side on the existing transducer and just use your Low on the higher powered transducer).

DFF3-UHD benefits: Heave compensation which is awesome. Newer chirp technology. Will most likely continue to improve with software updates (it is already great). Better target definition and performance in depths where it can take full advantage of chirp technology. Do not need to find room for another screen. This will do a very good deep as well, but is somewhat less adjustable and you cannot do as many split screens if that interests you. Adjusting it manually is just not nearly as easy as the stand alone machines in my opinion.

FCV-1150 benefits (I had to add this here.): Awesome machine, but it does cost more than two you asked about. It is a 295 with bigger brighter screen, heave compensation and ability to network to your TZT3. When networked it can be viewed on the TZT3 which is cool, but not really necessary.

Bluefin, thankyou for your detailed response. Some great first hand info. This forum is a fantastic resource

I should have also said that I wanted another screen anyway for a DFF3D, but I could potentially just put this on my existing TZT3
The only way I could get a R109 is off the transom - which has complications (not insurmountable).

I can probably make something like the 82b-35R/CA200b-8b combo work though relatively easily with plunge type setups off transom and hooked underneath.

So it’s most likely looking like either:
DFF3-UHD + TZT3 + 82b-35R/CA200b-8b with SCX20…
Or FCV 295 + 82b-35R/CA200b-8b……..
Assuming you were nifty with the settings….. would the TZT3 setup read the bottom and pickup returns close to the bottom whilst on the move as well as the 295, or does it perform differently? This has been what I’ve been hearing from first hand accounts and if that’s the case I would opt for the “old school!”

Cheers

So I assume your PM275LHW is off the transom and so that has to go in order to make room room for the transducers. The 82B-35R/CA200-8b will be a great combo for bottom fishing. The HW element of your current transducer will be much better for searching for pelagics. 25 degree beam of the HW element will give much better coverage than the CA200-8b which is 5.5 degrees. The CA200 will be much better for bottom fishing, bottom type/hardness detection and finding thermoclines/different water layers .

The 82b-35r I think is a great medium frequency transducer that should do a great job bottom fishing at deeper depths. It operates within the frequencies allowed on the 295 as well as the DFF3 (non-uhd) so no worry about blackout frequencies.

You could even use DFF3 black box to run these transducers that will perform very similar to the 295 and will allow for heaving correction. The original DFF3 black box can be considered the black box version of the FCV-1150.

I cannot answer with certain if the FCV-295, DFF3 and DFF3-UHD are all going to perform similar or if there is one clear winner when running frequency selectable transducers. I assume the 295 and DFF3 may do a better job as they were designed to be used with the specific transducers you have listed above. I would wait to gather some information from those who would know how the DFF3-UHD would do in comparison. Non of your options are bad options.

If you are planning to add another TZT3 now or in the future then you could skip the 295 as it does not allow for heaving correction. You could do a DFF3 or DFF3-UHD and add the SCX20. Your second screen being a TZT3 will also give you full MFD functionality. No one has ever regretted adding an SCX20 to their system as it makes everything perform better.

Furuno fishing fanatics on facebook is a page with people in your area using the products you have described above. You would get some real world advice from people who could help you as well. If you go there you should add what species you are after and what depths you fish. Deep is subjective and being super specific to your needs will be best.

The moderators here have endless knowledge, but it is always hard to tell people exactly what you should buy. Your options are good and will come down to some personal preferences and weighing what is most important.

Back