Tz2 operation with Sirius XM weather

Bluewater

I recently purchased a boat and upgraded some electronics to include TZTouch 2 and the BBWX3 Sirius weather receiver. It appears I am receiving weather information (which includes marine forecast, live weather buoy information, sea surface temperature, etc.), but when it comes to real time rain indicated radar, it does not show any rain information (rain intensification or animation). It does show lightning strikes, storm icons, etc. Has anyone experienced this problem? I heavily depend on this information for safety when overnighting 80 miles offshore.

Bluewater,

I have the same issue with my TZT2 & BBWX3 install. I called Furuno tech support and this is a know bug that will be corrected with the 3.0 update. The tech told me 3.0 should be out within the next 10-15 days, to coincide with the release of the NXT Radar.

DigginDeep

DigginDeap

Thanks for the reply. Hope your information is correct. I haven't been able to get a actual answer to the problem. Let's hope the update comes out soon and takes care of our problem.

Bluewater

Did either of you get this resolved? I upgraded to 3.01 but it did not appear to change anything for me, the radar and clouds still do not work.

I have the update just haven't been back to the boat to install it. I'm expecting this update to fix the problem due to I am about to be moving the boat a long way and running offshore. I will be depending on this weather source of information.
Maybe someone can confirm it has corrected the problem.

To understand you correctly, you have updated to 3.01 software and still having problems with the North American Radar data from Sirius?

Yes, that is correct. I am running 3.01 (which DID solve communication to my ICOM VHF), however, I am still unable to get Sirius Radar. Other Sirius information is plotted, just not radar:

Attachments

• weather7.JPG
    weather7.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 2,316
Houtxfisher,

select the weather screen and try to swipe up from the bottom of the screen to pull up the edge swipe menu. Once you are see this menu, verify that the "Wx Radar" setting is set to "US"

I've noticed that all of Sirius data such as wind and SST will still be available as well as all of the data in the Sirius diagnostics will still be accurate but will not display actual radar weather unless selected from this bottom page.

Attachments

• IMG_20160614_141204647_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160614_141204647_HDR.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 2,301
  • IMG_20160614_141211920_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160614_141211920_HDR.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 2,301
Regret to report that it was already set to US, but still nothing on the screen:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 1,393
I am using a Netgear FS105 switch, and the cables are all Furuno cables, I am not sure if they are metal shielded but I would assume so?

Have you tried connecting the weather unit direct to the TZT2 for testing purposes?
It is a good way to eliminate the hub as a possible issue. It might not be passing/seeing all the packets.

To all

Ok, I got the software update in and all is working well. Sorry for the delay to post. Friday was a rush to get away from the dock due to weather. Perfect timing. Been pushing it hard until today. Still have over 200 miles to go. I have all the weather information needed to make the correct navigation decisions.
As always Furuno is the best choice for electronics. No one else can beat their support after the purchase.

THANK YOU FURUNO.

Bluewater

I just wanted to provide an update to this thread to let users know what the resolution was.
It appears that it takes approxiamtely 10-15 minutes for the radar picture to initially download.
After I upgraded to 3.01, I went to the weather screen but did not stay there long enough as I only saw the wind and lightning again and assumed 3.01 had not fixed the problem.
It seems the wind/lightning/storm icons appear right away, but the cloud and radar may download in a separate file and take a bit longer. Thanks to all of the help! :jump

Back