TVG setting/Tzt

Snips,

I started a new thread, which I should have done sooner, to continue with this DFF3D noise issue. I may have solved the electrical noise and will await you feedback.

Bringing this back up since I have a TVG question regarding the DFF3D. Since you can adjust the Level and the Distance (referring to the multi-sounder mode), seems like I really should play around much more with these settings. Especially at shallower depths.

With my setup there is always more clutter in the center beam, and I think this is pretty typical. Also, I'm thinking that I should experiment more with narrow beams and the single beam mode for bottom detection. Follow your recommendation to start narrow, then go wider.

The deepest I'm typically fishing is 250-350 feet and most of the time in 100 feet or less. So my question is if it's best to keep the clutter setting low or at zero and use TVG to make adjustments to reduce clutter? For example, if I'm fishing in 200 feet I should set the TVG distance to 200 feet and then adjust the TVG level to reduce clutter?
What did you find? Wondering the same. What depth to put distance at want to see bait but also tuna

What did you find? Wondering the same. What depth to put distance at want to see bait but also tuna

Greetings Hightidemarine70, TVG and the clutter erase are used separately to achieve different outcomes. Snip's comment in this thread earlier suggested that a strong clutter in the middle beam should be inspected for potential electrical noise first. Noting that multi-beam sonars are more susceptible to noise than a normal down sounder. Regarding bait and tuna, they are relatively different in size and I would think you would want more contrast.

According to section 7.12 of the TZTouch3 Operator Manual it states, "...the reflection from a school of fish in deep water may appear in weaker colors than that from a school in shallow water even though their strengths are equal. To show the schools of fish in equal strengths (same colors), you use the TVG function." I'm not sure you want bait and tuna to be shown in the same size or colors on your sounder screen, right? Rather I would think you would like less clutter. If so, most likely you first address the environmental aspects that could cause clutter issues obstructing your tuna returns such as turbulence and electrical noise. Next try the auto settings to see if it improves or not. Finally, use clutter erase in conjunction with gain to try and create more contrast. Most likely this should be enough without the need to adjust the TVG from it's default value.

Hope this helps,

- Maggy

Back