Tunning in tz3 at speed

J

Jgribbs

Hey guys just chasing best internal settings and settings or a guidance on tuning in my 265lh and b54 triple beam on the tz3 at speed between depth of 20m to 60m looking for bottom fish and structure. I know transducer placement has lot to do with readings at speed just assuming there perfectly placed. Thanks guys.

Jgribbs":12pq64ia said:
Hey guys just chasing best internal settings and settings or a guidance on tuning in my 265lh and b54 triple beam on the tz3 at speed between depth of 20m to 60m looking for bottom fish and structure. I know transducer placement has lot to do with readings at speed just assuming there perfectly placed. Thanks guys.

"Speed" covers a pretty broad range. On my boat, there is a big difference between going less than 25 kts and more than 25 kts. It's all a function of the hull design and transducer placement. I can get a reasonably clean picture below 25 kts but above that there will be a lot of noise. So you will inevitably need to do some experimenting. What works on one boat is not necessarily going to work on yours.

Usually I am hunting in somewhat deeper water from 40 to 100m or more. I also have a DFF-3D so similar to your setup.

What I have found is that once at cruise, I adjust the HF regular sounder to show a manual depth range that is from about 3m below the surface to the bottom. Then I adjust the gain manually to get a good bottom return without too much noise.

With the DFF-3D, you have more of a choice. If it is relatively calm and the water is less than 50m, it will usually read well in moving map mode, which I like for finding bottom structure. Otherwise I will run it in triple beam display and set gain manually as with the HF. When I am fishing for tuna offshore and looking for bait balls off to the side of the boa, I will set the DFF-3D to the widest beam angle and use triple beam display with manual gain as high as possible without covering the screen with noise.

Back