Tuning DRS4W via GP1971F

Griffon

Section 3.4.4 of the DRS4W operator's manual states that tuning/initialization is only needed when the magnatron is replaced, and I was told by a Furuno technician that enabling this function in a harbor could permanently de-tune the unit. (Alternatively, one could go well offshore and try tuning again.) In contrast, Section 7.3 of the GP1971F operator's manual states that the default setting of the tune/initialize function is [ON]. and I was told by a Furuno technician to leave it on except perhaps in a harbor where the radar would be temporarily de-tuned. I have been leaving it [OFF], based on the former advice, and have seen vessels on AIS that did not (but presumably should) appear on radar. Any explanation/guidance would be appreciated.

The tech must be confusing radar models. The general rule of thumb on Vx2 radar was never to run the optimization at the dock or next to your house because of all the close in targets. Nothing permanent but it can set your auto clutter and auto gains to be a bit low in response to all the close in reflections during the test. This could be reversed by taking it out to a non-target rich environment and again running the optimization. The DRS4W is a different animal entirely as is our other digital units. Anyone looking to play with settings will find few in the DRS4W it is almost nothing you can fiddle with. Everything Auto on that baby with auto gain and auto clutter. I normally recommend leaving the settings as they come (default) unless you need to apply a blank sector to block transmitting into something. They are a turn ON and drive type radar. Not too much you can do setting wise on that unit. I know you can turn on Tune initialize but didn't know it would stay ON. I can only guess that just tells it to recheck levels at power up if that is the case. I can't say I have ever moved any DRS4W setting off of default. They normally work pretty well as long as they don't have a bunch of stuff reflecting RF directly back at them. Unfortunately if mounted where radar energy is bouncing directly back at it, will mess with the auto modes. Manual modes are not an option on that unit because it doesn't offer manual gain or clutter. Either the items have to move, the radar has to move, or the area gets sector blanked to prevent the reflections if you have close in items on the boat returning the RF.

Thank you. It seems from your response that the good news is that even if I managed to de-tune the radar its sensitivity can be restored by running the optimization in a non-target rich environment. (The bad news being that Section 7.3 of the GP1971F manual is basically wrong.) I am happy to have an automatic display, but do have a remaining question as to what amounts to a non-target rich environment for a boat that spends most of its time in Puget Sound or southern BC. Need it be optimized only in a central part of the Strait of Juan de Fuca, or further out? Would a hard target (like a shoreline) be less impactful if the range were reduced to not reach it? Any further insights would be appreciated.

The less shoreline the better but mostly away from other nearby boats and buildings that provide hard/strong returns. While the optimization is more of a baseline, the unit does a quick sampling when first going to transmit so it does adapt to the environment each transmit somewhat.

Back