Transducer ?

Sculler

I’m putting in several TZT19F and the 16” version for the two helm positions in my trawler.
Not using it for fishing but coastal cruising. And a full Furuno package including nxt radar, sc20 etc.

What’s the recommended transducer? Currently planning on the airmen DST 800L though I have been hearing of reliability issues.

Any recommendations? Was keeping it on a 2000 network.

The DST 800 has been replaced by the DST810. I have had no issues with the one that I have. Waiting on a second one to ship for my second boat but seems to be on intergalactic backorder at the moment.

Here’s the package I’m planning to go with (open to suggestions) for a 60’ west coast (British Columbia) trawler.

TZT19F (x2)
DRS6ANXT/4 Radar
FA50 Class B AIS Transceiver
NAVPILOT 711C Autopilot
FI-70 Displays (x4)
TZT16F (x2) flybridge helm
GP330B GPS Receiver
SCX20 Sat compass
DST810L Smartducer

Any thoughts?

Also do I need another back up transducer?

Does Furuno have a product offering for a transducer or sonar for private yacht use that is forward looking to navigate skinny water at very slow speeds?

Is there any utility to have their side scan 3d package if not fishing?

Sculler":104f8a4b said:
Here’s the package I’m planning to go with (open to suggestions) for a 60’ west coast (British Columbia) trawler.

TZT19F (x2)
DRS6ANXT/4 Radar
FA50 Class B AIS Transceiver
NAVPILOT 711C Autopilot
FI-70 Displays (x4)
TZT16F (x2) flybridge helm
GP330B GPS Receiver
SCX20 Sat compass
DST810L Smartducer

Any thoughts?

Also do I need another back up transducer?

Does Furuno have a product offering for a transducer or sonar for private yacht use that is forward looking to navigate skinny water at very slow speeds?

Is there any utility to have their side scan 3d package if not fishing?

Sure,

When it comes to transducers, it's an open ended conversation with often the first question being whether this will be for navigation or fishing use. You mention cruising, so often there's not a lot of requirements. A good "cruising" flush mounted all-around tranducer you may like might be a 525T-LTD pre-tilt (B60). However with a better understanding of what outcome you're hoping for it would be easier to chime in with which device to recommend. The smart transducer you cited, is great for depth readings, but you got 4x TZT3s too with a lot of options. Check out this product page for how many transducer options work with those MFDs!

If you're looking for side-scanning ability you just can't beat a DFF3D multi-beam paired with a 165T-xx style transducer networked with those sleek TZ3s. That would give you great visibility of the bottom for fishing AND navigation.

Hope this helps, :sail

- Maggy

Maggy-
Sorry for being confused. I’m trying to learn quickly!

The use is for cruising in more remote area of BC.
Right now I’m spec-big a smart transducer dts800. But I started to think about whether I should add side scan to get better information about areas I might go in to anchor. And whether I’d need a regular transducer for depth under the boat. Now if I see salmon is fish for them but that’s not remotely my primary use!

Safety and curiosity. With a 16’ tidal swing I don’t want to wake up on a rock.

What you're going to get with the Airmar DST800 or the newer DST810 Smart Transducer [Video] is going to be a sensor with some useful values such as a number for depth, speed, and temperature that you can display in a nice data box on your plotter.

A thru-hull tilted element transducer (such as the 525T-LTD) is the thing that'll give you echo returns in a proper fish finder. It'll give you an "image" and detailed information about what's going on down there (such as a salmon fish). This information, such as depth, you can also display in a data box on the plotter (or flip into fish finder mode and view the live returns yourself).

There's a purpose and use for either devices, it's not unheard of to have both or multiple transducers installed on a vessel.

For more information, I would highly recommend two videos:
- [Video] Airmar's training video for dealers
- [Video] Season 1, Episode 6 of Furuno Connections "Which is the Best Fish Finder Transducer for my boat.

Hope this helps better unpack the differences between an all-in-one sensor product and a transducer for a fish finder, :sail

- Maggy

Back