Transducer/General advice new TZT2 system

B

Banjeryak

Hello all,

Looking to set up an electronics package for a new boat.

Fishing will mostly be in Long Island Sound. Depths 2-200', most often fishing in <80' of water. 70/30 mix of bottom fishing/mid water column (finding new/overlooked/small/ bottom structure is very important to me). Ideally I'd also like to be able to mark bottom in shallow water as well - say 2' or so - for navigation purposes.

Current plan is: 1 Tzt2 15" , 1 tzt2 12" ( or Suzuki equivalent when available ), B60 through hull transducer, Dff3d black box, 165t-tm54 or 165t-50/200 TM260, DRS4D NXT radar, VHF, pg700, and an MCU-004 remote. This equipment will be going on a 23.5' power catamaran.

Questions: Is the B60 a good choice for this application?

Which transom mount 3d transducer makes more sense, would it be worth it to have the redundancy of the combo 50/200 one ?

Mainly interested in the DFF3D for finding and marking structure ( side scan / history view I suppose), will this setup work for this?

Can I view input from multiple transducers on one MFD?

Can the B60 be run simultaneously with the TM54 ?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Banjeryak,
Due to their shape, it's hard to find a good transducer location on a Cat hull.
A couple of thoughts here, one or two transducers. If you use the combination transducer you put all their eggs in one basket if you have turbulence issue. Another is the beam width difference between the two 50/200 transducers. The B-60 is 46/12 where the combo transducer is roughly half that, 19/6. If you are spending most of your time in waters less than 80ft a B-60 will work well for fish detection. Yes you will be able to view both the internal sounder and the DFF3D at the same time. If you wanted to use two transducers on one MFD you would need to add a switch box, Airmar makes one for this purpose.

Snips

Thanks for the reply Snips,

I hear you regarding transom mounts on catamarans. In order to avoid turbulence I'll definitely have a through hull regardless of which DFF3D transom mount transducer I get. Although this particular cat has what I believe is a fairly good transom mount location ( the sponsons have a euro transom step )

Photo Jul 13, 1 18 47 PM.jpg

And just to make sure I understand correctly: I can have both the B60 ( run by the internal sounder ) and the DFF3D ( run by the DFF3D BB ) on my MFD network without a switch box ?

Only reason I was considering the combo DFF3D TM was for redundancy in case the through hull transducer failed

Thanks again for your time

Banjeryak,
Where are you planning to mount the thru-hull transducer?
If you have a TZT2 with software version 5.02 or later you will be able to view the internal sounder and DFF3D at the same time.

Snips

I'll defer to the builder, but the test boat I sea trialed had the thru-hull transducer in the starboard sponson approx 2-3 feet forward of the garboard drain plug.

Great news about the TZT2. This will be a fresh install on a newly built boat, so I am guessing I should be squared away software-wise

Thanks again for your help

Snips, I have a P66 and a SS264N on my boat the P66 is on the internal sounder and the 264 is on a DFF1. Are you saying I can have both of them up on the screen at the same time?

Rockshr,
The DFF1, DFF3. DFF1-UHD and the TZT2 internal sounder are all classified as regular sounders and will appear (if connected) under the FISH FINDER SOURCE tab. The DFF3D is classified as a Multibeam Sonar. If you have a single TZT2 MFD you can only display one sounder source at a time, but since the DFF3D is classified differently you can display it also.

Snips

Back