The Master MFD talks to the autopilot only if the Slave MFD is OFF.

boom

Hi all,
I have two TZT2 MFDs that I updated to the latest firmware.
After the update, the Master MFD does not send route/course information to the autopilot when the Slave MFD is ON. If the Slave is OFF, the Master talks to the autopilot without a problem.
On the other hand, the Slave talks to the autopilot fine regardless if the Master is ON or OFF.

Does anyone know why this might be happening?

More info:
Is it possible this problem is IP address related?
Before the update, the Master had IP addresses 172.252.25.1 and the slave 171.252.25.2.
After the update: the Master has IP 172.31.252.2 (host name MF252002) while the Slave has 172.31.252.1 (MF252001).

Thank you.

It sounds like a bad NMEA 2000 drop cable or tee. You might want to check all your connections. While both units need connection to the 2000 bus and the ethernet, there is only one of the two MFDs that is allowed to talk on the network. This is what is called the data master. It is the first MFD that comes up on the network. I would look under the sensor list and ensure both units updated properly and have exactly the same software shown on that sensor list page. The IP address is different and should remain so. After checking all 2000 items are connected well, if still having issues turn on everything using one MFD powered on first (so that it is in charge of talking) and see how it work. Then shut off the NavNets and power up the other one first and bring everything up and test. Whichever doesn't work might have a bad drop cable or Tee. Lastly, it could be that everything is working correctly and the pilot used doesn't like the shift of who is talking (depending on your power up order). What pilot are you driving?

It sounds like a bad NMEA 2000 drop cable or tee. You might want to check all your connections. While both units need connection to the 2000 bus and the ethernet, there is only one of the two MFDs that is allowed to talk on the network. This is what is called the data master. It is the first MFD that comes up on the network. I would look under the sensor list and ensure both units updated properly and have exactly the same software shown on that sensor list page. The IP address is different and should remain so. After checking all 2000 items are connected well, if still having issues turn on everything using one MFD powered on first (so that it is in charge of talking) and see how it work. Then shut off the NavNets and power up the other one first and bring everything up and test. Whichever doesn't work might have a bad drop cable or Tee. Lastly, it could be that everything is working correctly and the pilot used doesn't like the shift of who is talking (depending on your power up order). What pilot are you driving?
Thank you for the reply.

I am using a Furuno autopilot.
Both TZT2s have the 8.01 update, according to the sensor list.

I always power on the master first but that does not seem to have an effect. If the slave is on, the autopilot doesn’t work with the master. If the slave is off, the autopilot works fine with the master. I did not have this problem before the update.
I didn’t touch any drop cables or tees.

It’s a mystery…

Never seen that before. Did you factory clear the units after you updated them? It sounds like some strange software "thing" that normally wouldn't be there if the units were cleared after programming.

Never seen that before. Did you factory clear the units after you updated them? It sounds like some strange software "thing" that normally wouldn't be there if the units were cleared after programming.
I do not remember if I factory cleared the MFDs after the update.
What settings will I lose if I do that?
Thanks.

All user settings and waypoints/routes. That is why they should be backed up prior and restored after clearing.

Back