Sticking antenna on 1715

A

Anonymous

I am a Maintenance guy for a remote lodge in Alaska. Our captains are running the Furuno 1715 radar. One of our boats is having two issues (maybe they are symptoms).
1) The antenna under the cover sticks periodically, if I pull the cover off and give it a light tap it will commence spinning. Is this the motor or the belt? Should I use a graphite lube to loosen up the motor?
2) As long as the antenna is rotating the picture on the console is great, but after a few minutes the picture dims, and the range of the radar diminishes(the antenna is still spinning). Is this related to the antenna or is the magnetron going out?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Is this the motor or the belt?

If the belt is tight and not falling off, it would be the motor.
You might also send the display unit in when you have some downtime to ensure it has the most up to date software.

Should I use a graphite lube to loosen up the motor?

NO

As long as the antenna is rotating the picture on the console is great, but after a few minutes the picture dims, and the range of the radar diminishes(the antenna is still spinning). Is this related to the antenna or is the magnetron going out?

Magnetrons normally slowly go bad giving weaker and weaker targets...They never get better. It sounds like you have an issue with the display unit or the IF AMP board in the scanner.