SD Card Removal

wsp2

I purchased a boat which has several Furuno components including the TZtouch2. The system hasn't been upgraded in a few years from the looks of it, so I downloaded the latest updates from the web site. Removed the cover from the SD card slot and figured it was the type you just push on a little and the card releases. However, when I push on it the card just seems to be pushed further into the slot. It's to the point now I'll probably need some tweezers or something to get it out. Do I need to remove the rubber housing or something?

It is spring loaded. When you push it in, it should pop out when you release it. The card does not stick out very far when in the released position. You can use tweezers once it is popped out but don't tug on it if it doesn't come out easily. That means you need to push it in and trigger the release mechanism.

I just updated one a couple weeks ago for a guy that was in my local marina. He was still on V5.01 or something like that. To bring him current, I needed a separate SD card, a thumb drive, and the original chart card from the machine. It was a 2 part update to get everything up to V7.xx

I don't think the SD card is actually in the slot. It appears to be pushed in above the slot. I've made it worse trying to push on it to get it to release. Due to the location it's difficult to see though.

If I wanted to replace the SD card, do I need to put anything on it first? Or can I just use a blank one? I've got a USB drive and the SD card for the upgrade ready. I may see if I can still plug the upgrade SD card into the slot. That'll at least verify that the slot is free.

If it is not too painful, I would consider pulling the TZT2 out so you can get a better look. I have found that card slot to be extremely finicky and it is much easier to see what is going on with it out of the helm. Messing up the card reader will make the unit useless as a chartplotter since that is where the charts are stored.

If you want to replace the card, you need to copy the chart files for your area and the tide and current files onto the root drive of the new one.

Thanks to everyone who responded. Bad news is there's no way to get the card out. I tried with a small set of ceramic tipped tweezers but couldn't get a hold of it and managed to only push it back even further.

Good news is that the card isn't even in the slot, so I was able to go through the update with my other micro SD card and USB drive. Question now is, is it possible to get the preloaded charts on a new SD card? I'm actually not even sure what size the original card was. The one I used for the update is 32GB. The unit I have is a TZTL12F.

Thanks to everyone who responded. Bad news is there's no way to get the card out. I tried with a small set of ceramic tipped tweezers but couldn't get a hold of it and managed to only push it back even further.

Good news is that the card isn't even in the slot, so I was able to go through the update with my other micro SD card and USB drive. Question now is, is it possible to get the preloaded charts on a new SD card? I'm actually not even sure what size the original card was. The one I used for the update is 32GB. The unit I have is a TZTL12F.
I believe that Furuno ships them with 256GB microSD cards. However, you don't need one that large. They use it because they load all of the locked charts. All you really need are the ones you use for your region. A 64GB card should be plenty. You can download the newest versions from the Furuno USA website (which will redirect you to MapMedia).

Probably you could buy a preloaded card from Furuno but it would be a lot more expensive that just making your own and wouldn't necessarily have the newest versions of the charts depending upon when it was made.

I was able to download some charts and put them on the SD card. Looks like all is working well now.

I'm going to get a larger SD card just in case, plus install an SD card extender cable so I can access it a bit easier in the future.

Back