SCX-20

buckshot

Furuno Super Fan
I am trying to add a SCX-20 to my old Garmin setup. They are 7212 units. I am hopefully moving back to all Furuno later this year. :jump
Is it plug and play?
Is there a setup that will need to be done to just get heading and GPS position?
I have already plugged the SCX into my NMEA2000 network to give it a quick try, I selected the SCX as the source for heading and GPS source but the heading reading just kept cycling through numbers that were definitely wrong.
Thanks in advance. :furuno

Pretty sure that you have to go into each display and set up your heading and position source in the preferences menu. I don't directly remember the menu options to drive you to that setting and wouldn't be able to touch a Garmin unit until this weekend sometime.

buckshot":22203k4y said:
I am trying to add a SCX-20 to my old Garmin setup. They are 7212 units. I am hopefully moving back to all Furuno later this year. :jump
Is it plug and play?
Is there a setup that will need to be done to just get heading and GPS position?
I have already plugged the SCX into my NMEA2000 network to give it a quick try, I selected the SCX as the source for heading and GPS source but the heading reading just kept cycling through numbers that were definitely wrong.
Thanks in advance. :furuno

Was the SCX-20 in a location with a clear view of the sky? It is possible that it was not getting a satellite fix. It may also take quite a while to get a fix the first time it is turned on in a new location and needs to update the almanac. How long did you wait to check it?

The SCX-20 has quite a few setup parameters. However, it should transmit GPS and heading data with the default settings. This may introduce some errors since you won't have input the SCX-20's position on the boat.

Until you have a TZT 2 or 3 on the NMEA2000 backbone, which can be used to access the settings, it is possible to use a laptop computer and the Furuno software you can download. Yoou will need a NMEA 2000 interface for the computer such as an Actisense, however.

Do you mean Heading or COG?

When I got it right the SCX-20 hass no real (magnetic) Heading sensor but calculates HDG with the four GPS sensors. Because of that it needs a lot of good fixes and therefore a clear view to the sky.

My antenna is mounted close to my solar panels....even when I have an excellent position fix with HDOP of 0.5,, HDG ist not always available

Thank you for the responses,
I did tell the Garmin MFD's to use the SCX as source for GPS and heading. I think it had a clear view but it may have been leaning too much considering that I just sat it up there and it was not flat. I will get it installed properly and probably get a NMEA-usb interface also. If I still have problems I will come back with an update.
Thanks

Back