Screen Freezing

Quitsa

Furuno Super Fan
After applying the 3.701 software upgrade, my TZT3 16s have taken to periodically freezing. The actions that seem most likely to trigger seem to be linked to the data boxes on the left side. For example, switching the displayed data box between "data" and "fishfinder" or "route" or editing the content of the data boxes will cause the entire screen to freeze. The sounder display will stop moving, the boat icon will stop on the chart, and the data stops updating. Other touch functions will work sometimes such as the Home button and switching what is active or the shutdown menu that comes up when the power button is pressed. The only way to get out of this state is to shutdown and restart the unit. It does not happen consistently and does not seem to correlate to how long the unit has been running so I doubt there is an overheating issue. In addition, my helm behind the units is well ventilated with a cooling fan.

I tried doing a hard reset back to factory default and reinstalling the software from a USB stick and redoing my settings from scratch rather than uploading saved settings. It did not eliminate the problem. I called tech support in Camas and the fellow suggested doing a hard reset on the internal sounder, which I also tried without success.

Has anyone else seen this issue? Sure seems like a bug.

I have had issue with freezing also with 3.701 also issue while it was shutting down. It stays on shut down screen for 20 min. I'm thinking bug also.

I have had issue with freezing also with 3.701 also issue while it was shutting down. It stays on shut down screen for 20 min. I'm thinking bug also.
Do you have the same issue with the data boxes causing the freeze also? Mine seems to shut down normally.

Interesting. I recommend you get a log file from the service menu and provide it to technical support for them to send to the software folks for study. You might be on to something.

Okay, next time it freezes I will do that. Not sure in this instance that I like being "on to something"!

I hear that. It might be that you can drop your units (except for something connected to side-scan) back to v3.70. I wouldn't see any reason you can't run everything v3.70 except the one unit with side-scan running 3.701

I messed around with it some more this morning. There does seem to be a reasonable correlation to one thing I can identify. When using the chart screen, switching the data boxes from "data" to "route" will freeze the screen. Only the power button responds for calling up the shutdown menu. It does not do it 100% of the time, however. I noticed that even when this action did not freeze the screen, the unit seemed to hang for a couple of seconds before responding and switching the data boxes.

Can anyone replicate this? Maybe the Furuno guys can try on their bench systems.

I have had issues with the screens freezing while scrolling on my databoxes. I don't know if it is a coincidence or related to a bug, but it always seems to lock up when I have almost scrolled all the way to the top of the databoxes where my tide charts are. The screen locks up just as the tides box starts to come into view.

I have had issues with the screens freezing while scrolling on my databoxes. I don't know if it is a coincidence or related to a bug, but it always seems to lock up when I have almost scrolled all the way to the top of the databoxes where my tide charts are. The screen locks up just as the tides box starts to come into view.
Is this something that has been happening for a while or did it start after updating? I had a problem with very occasional feezes maybe a year or two ago, which turned out to be related to a NMEA 2000 device. Once I took it off the network, the freezes stopped. But this is different. I disconnected the ethernet cable and the NMEA 2000 cable and it still froze.

Is this something that has been happening for a while or did it start after updating? I had a problem with very occasional feezes maybe a year or two ago, which turned out to be related to a NMEA 2000 device. Once I took it off the network, the freezes stopped. But this is different. I disconnected the ethernet cable and the NMEA 2000 cable and it still froze.
I had issues early on also. Turned out to be some bad connections on the power feeding the bridge. This has happened after the 3.70 update. I haven't had a chance to apply the 3.701 update to correct that fan speed alarm issue as I am TDY for the Army at the moment.

@Quitsa I tested with two TZT3 units (19" and 12") and couldn't duplicate the problem. It could be that you need a full system with side-scan to encounter that. We will have the techs keep their ears open. Normally if something is happening across the board we will get many calls about it. I have informed the parent company to be on watch as well. Any repeatable items are definitely an interest to me.

@Quitsa I tested with two TZT3 units (19" and 12") and couldn't duplicate the problem. It could be that you need a full system with side-scan to encounter that. We will have the techs keep their ears open. Normally if something is happening across the board we will get many calls about it. I have informed the parent company to be on watch as well. Any repeatable items are definitely an interest to me.
Mine are 16s but I can't imagine that would make a difference. I will wait for it to happen again and see if I can narrow down what triggers it.

Back