SC30 with IF-NMEASC

A

Anonymous

Hi,
I just bought the SC30 and an IF-NMEASC interface to be sure that my old Raymarine autopilot get the right information via NMEA0183.

I have a Garmin 7015 chartplotter which I would like to connect to the system via the N2K network.

I thought I could just connect the SC30 and the IF-NMEASC to the N2K backbone cable with drop cables. Now I se that I have to get a long SC30 backbone cable just for connecting the SC30 to the IF-NMEASC.

Attached in the packaging is a presentation of different connection possibilities. The last one shows the SC30 with IF-NMEASC, and here they have also connected a chartplotter to the N2K port of the IF-NMEASC. With a N2K Micro drop cable.

As far as I know the SC30 backbone cable has 7 cables inside while the N2K has 5? How should then this be connected?

Can I extend the N2K bakbone from the IF-NMEASC?

Will the N2K netwok get its power from the IF-NMEASC?

My point is - if I connect both the SC30 and the chartplotter to the N2K port of IF-NMEASC - then I have used the N2K port of the chartplotter just for this connection? What if I would like to extend my N2K network with more units connected? Can I just connect unlimited units to the IF-NMEASCs N2K port (J7) ?

Heinricheggenfellner

When using the IF-NMEASC with the SC30, it has an established backbone CAN network between the two devices. The proper cable when using the SC interface will have a terminator built in the connector of the cable near the SC30 (not accessible/not removable) and the IF-NMEASC has a built in (not accessible/not removable) terminator. This is Furuno CAN bus network and similar to NMEA 2000. When the unit is connected like this, you would normally want to purchase the correct cable length you need between the two devices. If you need to extend the cable, you can up to 30 meters.

In the case of the example drawing you speak of, it has been removed from our current examples. This is because it led people to assume they could attach NMEA 2000 items or network directly to the interface. When the interface is used, the SC30/IF-NMEASC is a NMEA 0183 and AD 10 device. (Not NMEA 2000) Although the example drawing would work when connected to one Furuno MFD, with limited cable length, Japan said it wasn’t recommended. The example was removed from Furuno USAs web site and newly shipped products.

The correct method would be to use a device that can bridge the NMEA 0183 data over to your NMEA 2000 network, like the IF-NMEA2K2, or similar device from other manufacturers. In case of the NavNet 3D, it supports both NMEA 0183 and 2000 while bridging the data between the two standards.

Thanks for your answer. Another option I have is to skip the IF-NMEASC and only use NMEA2000. My chartplotter is a Garmin 7015 which has several NMEA0183 output ports. I assume that the heading information will be transferred out on those ports? Then the chartplotter will act as a bridge. Do you have any experience with such a solution? Do you think the chartplotter will give out the heading information as fast and reliable as the IF-NMEASC? The problem is that my autopilot only takes NMEA0183. The disadvantage of such a solution is that the chartplotter has to be turned on for the autopilot to work...

If your Garmin has both NMEA 2000 and NMEA 0183 it might offer bridging of data, but you would have to ask Garmin. Even if it does, I highly doubt it will offer heading at fast enough update rate to make an autopilot happy. Normally an autopilot requires heading be updated at a very high frequency. A normal NMEA 0183 port on a chart plotter typically provides heading at a 1 Hz rate update rate. I know that our NavNet 3D MFD units cannot provide NMEA 0183 heading fast enough for a pilot. Normally you want the pilot to get its heading directly from the heading source. You might check with the manufacturer of the autopilot for requirements.

Thanks,

yes now I have connected the SC30 and the Garmin 7015 in a pure NMEA 2000 network. And it doesn't seem as the chartplotter recognize the heading sentences at all throught NMEA2000? The "boat" is moving around itself. I assume the HEADING from the SC30 is standard NMEA 2000? Strange that it does not work? UPDATE: It worked suddently for a short while - it might be because the SC30 has not free sight in all directions.

In any case, it does not seem as the Garmin returns any HDT sentence at all through the NMEA0183 ports. I therefore just have to order a long cable and use the IF-NMEASC. The Garmin then will bridge from NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 and then my other NMEA 2000 units will recieve this information.

Thanks for your help.

Heinrich

I have now mounted the SC30 on my boat, use a 30m backbone cable connected to the IF-NMEASC. One of the NMEA out ports are connected to the autopilot, but not tested yet. The other NMEA out port is connected to my Garmin chartplotter via one of its four NMEA 0183 in ports. The chartplotter receives the heading info fine. By using the four switches on the IF-NMEASC I have tried changing the output sentences for the two NMEA out ports. When I set it to 1 HDT is received by the chartplotter as it should. If I set it to 3 HDM is received. I have then tried 5,7 and 8 to also send the position and time to the plotter, but it seems to me that the plotter does not receive anything but heading info? No position info is received? Any idea? I probably have to connect an NMEA multiplexer to the IF-NMEASC and a comuter to see what NMEA sentences are actually sent out? The settings for the NMEA in ports of the plotter is set to NMEA STD which is 4800baud.

When connecting the IF-NMEASC, did you change the data cable (replace the original SC30 cable) for the required one with the internal terminator? The IF-NMEASC has a built in terminator (can’t be removed) and when used, the included SC30 cable is replaced with one that offers a built in terminator near the SC30 antenna. This becomes a CANbus Network between the IF-NMEASC and the SC30. Overall this results in the IF-NMEASC offering NMEA 0183 and AD10 data. Furuno Japan says that when the IF-NMEASC interface is used, you should not try to connect any NMEA 2000 items direct to the unit or the interface (via the CANbus). (Furuno USA has done this with some Furuno items, with some success, but following strict limits) The general rule is the SC30 is NMEA2000 item when used as a drop, with the provided cable. If you need NMEA 0183 and used the interface, you basically change it to a NMEA 0183 / AD10 heading device. When wired up properly (via the interface), it should provide suitable NMEA 0183 heading for your 0183 Pilot. If you need 2000 heading data also, then you would need to add a NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 device like the IF-NMEA2k2. If you are a Furuno USA customer, it might be better for you to call into our tech support and discuss your needs in detail.

Yes, I am using this cable:

Furuno SC30 Bacbone Cable 30 meter - MJ-A10SPF0015-300C

This is then connected to the IF-NMEASC, port J7, via the 7 cables in the Backbone cable. The interconnection diagram shows that the 7 cables should be connected from #1 to #7. The 8th place in the plug is empty, but the diagram shows something also there? Is it the shield? It is marked FG.

OK, power is also provided to the IF-NMEASC. All leds are on, and the status led for NMEA 2000 input is flashing.

My chartplotter is connected to the NMEA OUT J4. The chartplotter has 4 NMEA 0183 input ports.

First the chartplotter only received HDT. I then found out from the operators manual of IF-NMEASC that J4 by default only transmits HDT. I then used the buttons on the IF-NMEASC to change the NMEA output sentences. If I change to sentence number 3, my chartplotter only receive HDM, which is correct ref.. table on page 7 in the operators manual.

OK, I then changed to sentence number 5, which transmits GGA, VTG and ZDA. No Heading. Then my chartplotter lost the heading (right). But it does not receive any position? And this is my problem now. Even if I try sentence number 6, 7 or 8, no position is received by my chartplotter. I have also tried J5 of the IF-NMEASC.

My needs ar quite simple. My old autopilot needs HDT in NMEA 0183 format. Therefore I bought the IF-NMEASC. My Garmin chartplotter also can read NMEA 0183, and thererfore I assumed it is no problem for those units to communicate.

(My chartplotter then can bridge / convert all NMEA 0183 sentences out on the NMEA 2000 bus). But my SC30 antenna and my autopilot is not connected to any NMEA 2000 cable - this is pure NMEA 0183. And the heading is working. It is the position that is the problem. And of course, it is not good enough that the boat icon on the chart is pointing in the right direction, it should also be on the right place in the chart....

I might have to hook an NMEA multiplexer to the J4 port of the IF-NMEASC and a laptop to the multiplexer, just to see if it really sends GGA sentences etc. If it does, then it is the Garmin chartplotter which doesn't meet the NMEA 0183 standard 100% (which I can't believe?) It receives the HDT and HDM sentences without any problem.

Any more ideas after this explanation?

-- By the way, I also tried the SC30Tool software. I used it to upgrade the firmware of the SC30 to the latest version 1.12. The screens shows that everything is OK. Both antennas receives lots of satellites. The only strange is that on the last page where it is possible to adjust the NMEA output the Position is marked OFF? I have tried to change this but it doesn't seem that this is saved in the SC30?

The cable you have named is the correct cable when using the SC30 with the IF-NMEASC interface. That cable indeed goes to J7 on the interface. All eight pins should be used on J7. Pin 1 thru 7 just as you stated but pin 8 should be connected to the surrounding shield wire, as shown on the interconnection diagram. (FG= Frame Ground) If you haven’t connected the shield to pin 8, please do.

The power and LED indication you have indicated is correct/ normal. After the unit has been powered on for about 5 minutes, you should also see the established heading showing up on the digital display within the interface.

OK, power is also provided to the IF-NMEASC. All leds are on, and the status led for NMEA 2000 input is flashing.

Yes, output item #5 is only VTG, GGA, and ZDA no heading. This is normal. (VTG = SOG/COG, ZDA = Date and TIME, GGA = GPS POSITION) If the connected plotter accepts these sentences, and configured properly then position should be shown. Have you talked to Garmin? Most of their units default to Proprietary Garmin input and not NMEA. You must configure them.

My needs ar quite simple. My old autopilot needs HDT in NMEA 0183 format. Therefore I bought the IF-NMEASC. My Garmin chartplotter also can read NMEA 0183, and thererfore I assumed it is no problem for those units to communicate.
Yes assuming they (Garmin) accepts the provided sentence(s), NMEA level, and NMEA version.
The only strange is that on the last page where it is possible to adjust the NMEA output the Position is marked OFF? I have tried to change this but it doesn't seem that this is saved in the SC30?

The SCtool program will allow you to make changes to the SC30. These changes are sent to the SC30 and stored there. (Not in the interface) If the SCtool program is closed, any changes you made on that last page screen appears to go back to default. Do not fear, any changes made to the SC30 previously are still in the SC30. That last page screen does NOT show the current settings within the SC30. If you make a change on that setting screen; a command is sent to the SC30 and it changes. At no time will the SC30 send down all of its settings for that last screen of the SCtool program to display or update that last page screen.

I expect that either your Garmin isn't configured correctly to accept the data or that the Garmin doesn't like the GGA data in the provided IEC61162-1 standard. You might try using output selection #6 and see if it will accept position using the RMC sentence. I have no doubt if you were to connect up a NMEA monitor to the IF-NMEASC you would see the NMEA data being output by the interface. I just don’t think the Garmin is accepting it.

Yes you are right.
I have now tested everything possible... The output from the IF-NMEASC is as it should. I have checked it with a Shipmodul NMEA multiplexer, and their software. Also two different chartplotter applications on my PC accept all the output from the FURUNO stuff.

I have learned a lot during all this, but still my Garmin 7015 will accept a lot of NMEA sentences but not the GGA or RMC. So no GPS information, no time, no position. Depth, Wind, Heading etc. - no problem...

Thanks for all your help. Now I know where the problem is. And it is NOT the Furuno SC30.

HE

Back