RDP 149 radar issues

ReelBad

I have a vx2 RDP 149 with a rsb-0700 1944c Radar. After warmup and pressing transmit I get a no heading pulse and no direction pulse. I was getting no rotation of the array and could not hear anything. Check all connections and also spoke with a rep and insured system is setup properly. One thing that is odd and the rep was unsure of is with the unit in tx mode I only have power at a single wire. A green wire that we said was a spare. I checked all grounds etc. found a spot in the cable I thought may have been nicked. I cut it completely through there as I only need 10’ I figured I would test power at each wire prior to putting them in the clips. The connection to the unit looks great no corrosion. Turned the unit on and to TX and went through every wire in the bundle and again the green wire is the only wire that has power. Any idea of what would cause this rep said it’s a spare so is there an internal fuse for the radar output.? :sorry According the scamatic There should Be several more wires that are energized. I can get another radar if need be but would like to make sure it’s not the unit itself but that’s what I’m starting to believe not getting power from the RDP 149 to go to the radar. Any And all advise or ideas are welcome, please let me know as I’m currently At my Witt’s end :angry with this and don’t know where to go next.

I would back up and do the simple things first. You should double check that the MONITOR MODE setting in the unit is set to OFF. If set to ON it will cause this exact symptom. Next I would disconnect the scanner cable at both ends and OHM it out from end to end to ensure all the wiring is correct all the way through. Then check wire to wire to ensure none of them short to each other.

Capture1944c.JPG

Thank you, the setting are correct and monitor mode is off. I spoke with tech support while going through all the settings. I will definitely ohm out the cable. I did not check with a volt meter only a test light. I did also test the individual pins on the radar port of the MFD with it TX and only one pin was powered. That was what lead me to believe that the issue could possibly be the unit itself. I have another working radar close by for sale very cheap I could get but wanted to rule out the MFD being faulty before I did if at all possible.

Based on what you say, if pinned out correctly; it does sound like the radar display unit has a problem and would need to be evaluated for repair.

Thank you that was my thinking as well. I believe I have a service rep a few hours away I can take it to for testing.

I have a rdp-149 navnet setup with radar, depth, ARPA and Autopilot. All seems to work fine, except the GPS date ( ive seen the fix and on it) and the radar doesnt work heads up mode. It works perfectly ( within mag var) in Nirth up mode, but is 146 degrees port in heads up mode. Going into radar setup and pointing to the variation seems to work fine until I try to SET the result. It beeps once, but no action and I have to cancel to exit that stage.

any ideas?

Back