RDP-148 available data ports for AIS (?)

armysailor

Good afternoon FURUNO Team,

I have a "new to me" navnet vx2 system. I think. I have an RDP-148 (7" screen, no trackball, etc) It has 3 data ports, network port, and a plug for radar input.

-Data 1 is hooked up to a GPS. No issues here. I use the chartplotter all the time. Works great.

-Data 2, as I understand it (i THINK) is only for heading sensor. I have a PG-1000 in a box I need to hook up. (PS What cable should I buy for that?) Is that correct?

-Data 3 is empty. Is this a standard NMEA 0183 that can be used for any off the shelf AIS system that utilizes NMEA 0183?

I understand that I can purchase a FURUNO AIS that interfaces with the ethernet port, thus keeping my data 3 open...but honestly I don't have any other items I want to hook up to NMEA on my simple system.

Can I purchase and install any AIS on data 3?
Any reasons I should leave it available?

Last question - if I later decide to purchase and install the FAX-30 weatherfax, can that be hooked up via the ethernet input into my RDP-148?

Thanks for the guidance and help!

(PS: What features am I missing without a heading sensor installed? It seems like the GPS provides great position and heading data... what does the PG add?)

armysailor,

On your RDP148 NAVNET VX2 7" COLOR LCD DISPLAY here is the following data port information:

Data Port 1 (7-Pin Connector) is used for GPS

Data Port 2 (6-Pin Connector) is used for HEADING, and you can use Part# 000-159-695 which is a 10 Meter 6-Pin Cable/Assy and connect the PG1000 to the RDP148's Data Port 2.

Data Port 3 (7-Pin Connector) This can be used for an AIS that is utilizing a NMEA 0183 Sentence. You'll need to connect the NMEA Sentence Data to Pin-3 (Yellow) and Pin-4 (Green)

Ethernet/LAN Port This is where you will connect the FAX30, either directly into the RDP148's Ethernet Port, or to the Ethernet Hub.

Hope this helps..? :)
-Deep Blue

Back