RD33/Smartsensor/Navnet x1

A

Anonymous

Hi,
Our 1980's VDO instruments are on their last legs and we have ordered a RD33 and smart sensor 235dst-mse for stw,depth,water temp. We will be getting a PB150 air sensor when funds permit.
What i need to know is how to best connect these to our 1823c/nt Navnet x1 system.
We have Data 4 free but not sure how to conect all this gear up. Will we need a multiplexer (combiner) or is there an easier way?
We installed the Furuno gear in 2004 and it has been faultless from day1. Brilliant kit.
By comparison the VDO instruments will not be missed.
Any help for the technically challenged much appreciated.
Regards,
David.

Hey David,
Thanks for the positive remarks about the equipment. :jump
You would need a NMEA combiner because you only have one input (data 4) and two items that you plan to input. (PB150 and 235DST) Are you planning on mounting the RD33 near the NavNet 10.4" display or will these be mounted away from each other?

Johnny,
Thanks for the reply,
I did a bit more research and wonder if i can use Data 2 to feed the RD33. Data 2 currently supplies nmea0183 to the coursemaster auto pilot and the VHF and HF radios.There are no nmea inputs to Data 2. Then could i connect Data 4 to the smart sensor for depth,stw,temp as shown on one of the Furuno Navnet wiring configurations drawings which i found on the furuno website? Then when i can afford the wind sensor i can use a nmea 2000 sensor connected directly to the RD33. No need for the wind sensor data to go through to the 1823c\nt display. This display is down below but visable from the helm while the RD33 is to be mounted on the instrument panel in front of the helm which is fully protected by a semi enclosed wheelhouse.(dog house).
In summary we currently have:
Data 1 = Furuno BBW-GPS
Data 2 = Nmea output to Autopilot, hf and vhf radios.
Data 3 = Furuno PG500
Data 4 = unused.
Looking to keep it simple if at all possible.
Thanks, David

David,
I will try to post more tomorrow when I have more time, but I wanted to give you some information to consider. NMEA 0183 (RS422) allows for up to three listeners on an output. The key is that this is "best case". How much load you can place on an output depends on the listener devices. VHF radios, when connected, need to be counted as 1.5 listeners. That means, two radios and you’re done with that port. One auto pilot and one VHF (2.5 total) your done. Your NMEA data port two sounds like it is already maxed out; if not exceeded. You could not add the RD33 to that data 2 output without inserting a NMEA expander. There is no doubt that you could use the RD33 and its NMEA Bridge to your advantage as you configure your system design. Something to think about...:think

Back