RD-30 problem

robjl

I have an RD-30...appears in good condition.. I have connected power to the in/out port and a GP320B antenna to the Aux port but I can't get a position. Ultimately I want to connect a Airmar 120WX weather station to it to give me Wind Speed / Direction etc and maybe depth from my VX2.
I'm going round in circles programming in the I/O port setup menu but just can't get position.
The GP320B antenna works fine into the Navnet VX2
Cheers
Rob
:think

Hello Rob,

If the GP320B was ever plugged directly to the VX2, it puts the antenna into a “NavNet” mode and doesn’t output standard NMEA0183 data. That’s the reason why the RD30 is not seeing any data. Only way to have the gps antenna output standard NMEA0183 data, you will need to clear the antenna through the VX2 Menu or through PC using Hyper Terminal.
Through the VX2, you would need to have access to the back of the unit where the GP320B is connected too on port 1. While the unit is turned on, Select Menu, System Config, System Setup, Test and Clear, Memory Clear, and then turn GPS to ON. Once you have selected it to ON, hit ENTER and it will come up with a screen for verification and when you select YES and Enter (Count to 3, half second count) then remove the gps antenna from data port 1.
Plug it into the RD30 AUX port, turn on the unit and go into Menu, I/O Setup and have AUX Port set to In/Out and Power Out set to ON. Get out of the menu page and check if the data is showing up.

YachtyBoy

Hi,
I had to pull the plug out a few times to get the timing right but its now working Ok.
I have ordered an Airmar 120WX weather station to add input to the RD30, until it arrives I don't even know what wiring it has or how to connect.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

Back