Radar blurry and MFD crash

Janaconda

I have a new TZTL12F MFD and DRS4W radar. I have 3 problems. The MFD is crashing periodically throughout the day with corruption screen and then shutting down by itself. The temperature is not anywhere near 130 degrees. I am installing a small fan today hoping it helps.
The radar is very blurry on the MFD but fine on the iPad Pro.
Also I can not get the radar on the home screen to show up as an icon.
Looking for helpful advice!

If a unit has been overheating in the past it can cause permanent damage and may need repair. The grainy radar is most likely the scale is off and I would recommend Radar range link be turned on. If it is grainy on straight radar and not over zoomed in close, it should look fine. If not the display may be damaged and should be evaluated. If the radar is working on the unit, it isn't really possible not to be able to setup a radar hot page. That sounds like operations error and if you continue to have troubles, I would recommend calling your local tech support for assistance on the phone while in front of the unit.

I condulted the tech guys at Defender before I purchased 20;000$ of Furuno equipment. I now am told by Ron at Furuno tech support that the wireless DRS4W Furuno radar does not work on the TZTL12F MFD. The whole reason for going with this system was the ability to make all Apple products fully functioning MFDs.... Now they won't even return my emails.
The MFD never got hot. It's brand new. We disconnected the radar and installed a fan and it still shows a corrupt screen about 1-2 hours after Initiallizing the system, then within seconds shuts down. We have to disconnect and reconnect power to get it to turn back on.
I really don't know what to do now.
The radar works great on iPad but isn't compatible with the MFD. ????

Ron is correct. While you said you had the DRS4W, I had no idea you were trying to connect them together (because they don't). There is no documentation or sales item anywhere that says they do or Furuno tech who would tell anyone otherwise. If you find infomation showing that, please provide links so we can correct someone. If someone at Defender you were working with advised you to purchase these items with expectations they connected; I would recommend bringing that up with them.

Compatibility of the i-Pad with MFD is a loaded question. It is compatible to run the standard APPs (Remote, Viewer, Control, Catch). The i-pad can work with the DRS4W app. There is nothing that is designed to have the MFD use the DRS4W. The i-pad has one wifi and it can connect to the MFD to run compatible MFD apps OR it can connect to the DRS4W to run that APP. The i-pad can't do both at once nor can the MFD directly connect to the DRS4W. The only unit designed to talk to the DRS4W is the iPad or the Gp1871F/Gp1971F. I think Nobeltec also has the abilities to use the DRS4W with required module using i-boat.

Hi Johnny what model radar should I have ordered to work with the TZ2 and still function on the ipad? I have sent Defender the text of the email in question. I think their tech support is very good but maybe they weren't aware and I wish there were disclaimers on the Furuno right.

You would want a radar that works directly with the TZT2 that you can then use the Remote APP on the TZT2 to see and control the radar via the TZT2 MFD. This can be entry level DRS4DL+ (magnetron), moving up to the solid state DRS2DNXT, DRS4DNXT, DRS6ANXT, DRS12ANXT, DRS25ANXT or the Magnetron x-class radars DRS6AX, DRS12AX, DRS25AX. On the used market the older NN3D DRS units would work as long as the software in the radar is up to date (DRS2D,DRS4D, DRS6A, DRS12A, DRS25A). The iPad will not directly work with these radars like it does with the DRS4W, the MFD is required. It is the MFD that you are connecting to and running the APP. The MFD runs the radar while the APP talks to and controls the MFD.