Radar sometimes not detected in Navnet

easyvictor

I have a Navnet 3D system with an MFD-8 as the master, connected to a BBWX2 (which acts as a network switch) and then to a DRS2D radar.

When I first bought the boat, everything seemed to work fine: radar detected and turns on when the MFD is powered up.

Now I've noticed something strange. When I go to power on the unit, the radar icon has an X on it and the radar is not detected. Even going through the installation wizard or the connection diagram, it is not there. If I cycle power on the system, sometimes it suddenly works fine!

I'm familiar with IP networking so I took a deeper look. I saw that no matter what, the network lights would blink on the BBWX2 on both the MFD8 and DRS2D ports... indicating that at least there was some network activity from the Radar. So it's not totally dead.

I also noticed that the power synchronization switches on the BBWX2 switch, which are intended to be used to allow transmission of the "power up" signal, were all in the "off" position. This seemed strange to me, since reportedly the setup had always worked in this configuration in the past, according to the previous owner. I tried turning "on" the power sync switches for the MFD and the DRS2D, hoping the radar just needed to get the signal to turn on. It worked! At least on that boot. But then the next morning, it didn't work on the first try. The second boot, it did work. Great, an intermittent problem.

So now I'm stuck with an unreliable radar, and I'm not even sure if the power sync switches had any effect at all, since the problem is still sometimes there. As far as I know, the DRS2D is powered directly from the MFD8 in this configuration (no extra power supply), so maybe the sync switches should not be needed.

Does this symptom mean anything to anyone here? Is the DRS2D dying? Corroded connection? Where should I start? It's a slow debug process given that once it powers up, it seems to keep working on subsequent reboots, so any tips to help me pinpoint the cause would be very helpful. Right now I have to wait usually a day to see the problem surface again, so almost seems like it could be temperature related...

easyvictor,

A quick test you could do would be to take the Radar Signal cable directly into the back of the NavNet MFD8 and see if you can repeat the problems. If you get similar results with the radar connected directly to the MFD8 then I would suspect it is a compromised signal cable. First checks on the cable should be the connector integrity.

StoneFly

easyvictor,

I realize that it's been a couple of years since your post, I seem to have the same problem..

Did you ever find a solution?

MFD-8 & 12
DRS2D Radome

Intermittent Radar, when It works it works great, and sometimes when you power up it doesn't recognize the radar at all, even though there is obvious network activity on that port.

Hope you have some suggestions..

Thanks!

Back