Radar 1945 nmea output sentences

Wdeertz

Furuno Fan
I have a 1945 radar (has ARPA board) with a TZT2BB. I’d like to plot the ARPA targets on the TZT2BB. I’ve read the manual and could not find what nmea 183 sentences the 1945 radar outputs. Does the 1945 radar output RSD, TTM and TLL? If so are these sentences output from either nmea1, nmea2 or both?

From going through the 1945 menus all I could find is the nmea1 and nmea2 speed settings and nmea mixing. Can you confirm for the RSD, TTM and TLL sentences I’d set the speed to 4800? Am I correct that the “nmea mixing” options acts as a multiplexer and mixes all the sentences?

Finally, if I take the nmea 183 output from the 1945 radar and input to a multiplexer that outputs these sentences to my n2k network will the Tzt2bb properly display the arpa targets?

Sorry for all the questions but the 1945 manual lacks these details.

The ARPA 11 board need AD10 heading data (It might work with high update NMEA). If the radar has both heading and GPS position, then TLL and TTM will be available. TTM of course requires that you have an active tracking target. TLL would require you hit the keyboard control after the cursor is placed (para 1.25). 1716912522780.png

Johnny, thanks for confirming. I have a AD10 heading sensor input to the 1945 and GPS being fed from my SCX20. The NMEA cables for the 1945 have a white and blue color (yellow and green used for input) wires. Can you confirm which color is TD+ and TD-? Thanks

Dedicated heading port (input) would be wired by four wire AD10 but the normal NMEA input is Yellow (+) and Green (-) for the NMEA port like data one. For what is TD (Transmit data) on the 1945, I need to know exactly what NMEA port and cable you are using. The SCX20 is NMEA 2000 and not 0183 so it can't be directly connected without a bus and a proper converter. If they have the SCX20 directly connected, that needs to come off asap.

Johnny, the SCX20 gps data is being fed through a nmea183 multiplexer so no issues there. The NMEA ports use cable MJ-A7SPF0007-050C which has the following colored wires - yellow, green, white, blue, red, black. The yellow and green are currently being used for the nmea183 input of gps and nav data. I’m assuming the blue and white are for the nmea input. I just need to know which is + positive and which is - negative. I’ve googled that cable and haven’t come up with the wire color coding. Thanks

Johnny, a search revealed this, the white is TD+ and black is TD-

Attachments

• IMG_2076.png
    IMG_2076.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 10
Not based on the part number you provided in the text. Based on your finding (good job by the way) it would be White (+) and Blue (-).
1716926496650.png

Johnny, thanks, I rewired and I’m getting the TLL sentence out of the 1945 radar when I hit the button. I have this nmea sentence going into a multiplexer which outputs PGN 130074 (converts TLL to 130074) but nothing shows up on my TZ2BB chartplotter. Any ideas?

As for the Arpa targets with sentence TTM the multiplexer developer is attempting to do a firmware update to convert TTM sentences to PGN 128520. Hopefully this will give me arpa targets on the TZ2BB chartplotter.

I don't think you would be spinning your wheels if the Furuno converter (IF-NMEA2k2) was used. PGN130074 isn't the proper PGN for TLL. So if you want it to work for TLL they will need to fix that PGN as well.

1717083072166.png

Johnny, PGN130828 is proprietary to Furuno. Is it possible to get the format for this PGN? My multiplexer developer said he could add a TLL,conversion to PGN130828 if he had the format. Thanks

It was created because NMEA.ORG hasn't established a direct PGN for TLL. If they wish to develop products using Furuno's standard they would need to get with the SDK group/development and establish agreements that the parent company is interested in doing. It is nothing I can provide them.

Johnny, I finally purchased a IF-NMEA2K2 device and connected to my 1945 radar. I can confirm that I get a mark on my TZT2BB screen when I hit the TLL button on my 1945 radar. I’m at the dock so haven’t been able to test the ARPA tracking but in reviewing the IF-NMEA2K2 I see no mention of TTM sentence. Will the IF-NMEA2K2 pass the TTM sentence once the 1945 has identified a target?

Per the IF-NMEA2k2 manual it put out TTM from 2000 to 0183 when in High Speed or AIS mode only. I believe you need the other way around. You want 0183 to 2000. I will dig in my info and see.

Johnny, on my 1945 radar nmea 1 is 4800 for input of gps, route, etc data into device. NMEA 2 is 38400 for inputting AIS targets. I connected the IF-NMEA2K2 to the NMEA 1 output and got the TLL targets on my TZ2BB. Are you suggesting that if I connect the IF-NMEA2K2 to the NMEA 2 output (obviously configure the IF-NMEA2K2 for 38400) I’ll get the targets as TTM sentence on the TZT2BB?

This is what I am trying to accomplish.

TTM and TLL are two totally different things. The thread is losing clear focus. You would likely need two converters if your trying to accomplish both tasks. Because the 1945 is very much like the Vx2, the data port accepting AIS might not allow any output. For Vx2 becomes an AIS only port. The Vx2 definitely won't output with AIS in but I can't say I have tried the 1945 with all that. In case of the 1945, maybe the output can be used and in that case yes, if you had a diffrent converter running at the higher speed it should work for TTM output and conversion to NMEA 2000.

Johnny, ok finally got around to connecting the IF-NMEA2K to NMEA1 output of my 1945 Radar configured at 38400bps. I cut the orange wire on the IF-NMEA2K2 to also configure as 38400bps to match the 1945 radar speed. When selecting ARPA targets I am not get TTM sentence output.

Can you confirm the 1945 radar outputs the TTM sentence?

1727987936481.png

I will jump in.
Manual says it does.
Must have APRA board to have ARPA features though. Can't have Target Tracking Messages if you can't track targets.

Sparky, ok thanks for confirming. I relooked at the IF-NMEA2K2 manual and can’t find a TTM (nmea183) to PGN128520 (n2k) conversion. Only in the other direction. Is the IF-NMEA2k2 unable to process a TTM sentence to n2k PGN?

You might need to check and see if Actisense has something that would convert that direction.

Back