Problems with an NX-300 Navtex

Norseman

Hello from Fort Lauderdale:

Having problems with my previously flawless NX-300:

Bought it brand new 12 years ago or so, easy life always been inside the boat, no sun or rain.
Now it will rarely turn on, and if it does turn on, it freezes up like an old PC, or the screen goes dark, or it does not turn on at all.
Tried to remove power and it may or may not turn on next time.
If it starts up, it will work fine for a few minutes or a few days, then it freezes up, or goes to sleep.
I did run a self test and it passed every step of the way.
Good power, good antenna, good connections.
Is there any software update to be had, or is the internal battery dying?
(Called Furuno USA but they wanted $100 plus shipping both ways to “test it”.)
I would be happy to pay $100 for a repair or software update, but $100 just to be told it can’t be repaired seems silly.
(Running a charter boat that has been idle for 2 months, trying to maintain the boat on a tight budget.)

Any idea on how to “reset” the Navtex or can a local dealer plug it in see if it will live or die?
Thx
www.odincharters.com

Each dealer has their own skill sets so you would need to speak with them directly. There isn't much in the display on these that is repairable so you might want to seek out a used display to replace yours. If you want to fully factory reset/clear the display; you would hold the UP arrow while powering on the unit until it shows "Reset BackUp Data!". There is no software on these other than the original it is shipped with.

Johnny Electron":lm6t3od5 said:
Each dealer has their own skill sets so you would need to speak with them directly. There isn't much in the display on these that is repairable so you might want to seek out a used display to replace yours. If you want to fully factory reset/clear the display; you would hold the UP arrow while powering on the unit until it shows "Reset BackUp Data!". There is no software on these other than the original it is shipped with.

Ok, good info, thx.

Next question, is there a new and modern version on the way?
This model is showing it’s age, old fashioned display and all.
Would love to have a new one that fits the same installation with mount, cables, antenna, etc.
thx.

We don't pre-announce new products before official release here on the forum. There are no newer version coming that I am aware of. The NX300 is workhorse that has been working well for the market. I expect as long as the market it buying them, it will be sold. This and the Fax30 (designed for PC and NavNet) are the only NavTex for the Light Marine market we sell. We do have other units sold for the commercial market like the NX700 and NX700P.

Norseman":2s8s8z25 said:
Ok, thx.

Just now purchased a used display on eBay.

Used display dead on arrival, returned it for a full refund.

Anybody knows why a new 20 year old tech NX-300 are $700 even today, no new and improved versions, same old simpleton display. :shock:

A 60” flat screen TV can be had for less than that. :roll:

Back