PGNs for anchor watch?

wkearney99

Furuno Super Fan
Do the TZT3 series (I have two TZT16F) output any PGNs to the N2K bus when an anchor watch is set and exceeded?

I'd like to use other monitoring schemes to detect when an anchor watch has been set, and also if the boundary region has been exceeded.

I looked at the manual but it didn't mention any PGN output for this.

I suppose I could use the event buzzer wiring as an alternative, but I'd have to complicate it with using a 12v relay to get a contact closure for input to something else like a Yacht Devices YDAB alarm button. https://www.yachtd.com/products/alarm_button.html Being able to scan for PGNs on N2K would be less

So my question is, does the TZT16F output any PGNs for anchor watch events?

There currently are not any PGNs in the official NMEA 2000 database regarding anchor watch.

At this time your best bet would be to do as you have described and install a third party alarm panel for an audible/visual alert using the buzzer output. Take care to ensure that any devices you install on the NMEA 2000 network are NMEA 2000 Certified. Devices that are not certified can cause unexpected problems for other devices connected to the same bus.

FishTech":efojzf34 said:
There currently are not any PGNs in the official NMEA 2000 database regarding anchor watch.

But that doesn't answer the question as to whether Furuno sends any PGNs onto the N2K bus for such things. There are many proprietary sentences that get sent by devices.

Since setting an anchor watch on one TZT16F has it show up on another... tells me something is getting transferred between the units.

Now, I could sniff the N2K traffic listening for such things, or someone could answer definitively yes or no as to whether the data is even emitted from the TZT units at all via N2K. That or on the Ethernet bus. It'd be tedious having to run the boat, set an alarm and then move the boat to snoop for what kind of messages might happen to get sent.

No point in going on a wild goose chase if there's not going to be any data found.

For any device to be certified for NMEA 2000, it must meet the standard. All PGNs must be approved as part of that process. Mandatory, Common, and Propriety PGNs are included in this. There are no mysteries as NMEA 2000 is an open standard. There are no PGNs relating to anchor watch. Furuno does not transmit any non-standard PGNs, including anything relating to anchor watch. Any of that data shared between MFDs will be over ethernet.

wkearney99":2ru3989v said:
Since setting an anchor watch on one TZT16F has it show up on another... tells me something is getting transferred between the units.

Possibly transferred via Ethernet rather than N2K.

FishTech":9nlacja6 said:
For any device to be certified for NMEA 2000, it must meet the standard. All PGNs must be approved as part of that process. Mandatory, Common, and Propriety PGNs are included in this. There are no mysteries as NMEA 2000 is an open standard. There are no PGNs relating to anchor watch. Furuno does not transmit any non-standard PGNs, including anything relating to anchor watch. Any of that data shared between MFDs will be over ethernet.
Open? Published where? Besides behind a paywall? (https://www.nmea.org/content/STANDARDS/NMEA_2000)

So that opens the door to the question of what technical documentation is available for the data passed by Furuno units over ethernet?

Before I embark on rigging up some combination of other gear it'd be useful, as a customer with on-going investment in Furuno hardware, to have a fuller picture of my options. Thus my questions.

Helmsman":13tci0az said:
https://www.nmea.org/content/STANDARDS/nmea_2000_pgn__search
If you don’t see anything as you scroll down, put your cursor in the blank box and hit enter. It will bring up 119 PGN’s.

Yes, that does get at least some of the info, but if you've seen any of the other tech notes or addendums (like for windlass data) there's a lot more to be understood about the sentences.

But I'm not using this thread to complain about NMEA handling of the standards, there are plenty of other places for that.

So let me make a feature request then, it'd be handy to have N2K sentences available for anchor watch activities. On them being set/unset as well as exceeding defined parameters though I'd welcome thoughts on additional parameters and scenarios for them.

Meanwhile, is the ethernet data published anywhere?

Back