Original TZT "compressed" return on display... ?????

Panhandler80

I used to have this MFD hooked up to DFF3D and a traditional 50/200. The unit always displayed the 50/200 return in a manner that I would consider "normal." Pretty sure I had a DFF1 pushing the 50/200. By "normal" I mean that if I was holding over fish, the return would be layered out. Now I get this very short (L to R) returns... almost like the layered out fish have been compressed.

The pictures below were taken at the same time, over the same show. One is a Garmin with a H/L chirp. I believe it's hooked up to B275LHW. The original TZT is now hooked up to an R109 being pushed by a DFF3. Both are thru hull transducers.

Anyway, what's the deal with the "compressed" returns on the TZT? I'm guessing there's a setting to address this, but I'm not sure what it is. Again, it's the original TZT. The one with metal housing, cooling fans, inability to read chirp, etc. I sure would like to have it read like the Garmin, or like it used to on the traditional 50/200, or like my ancient SiTex did. FYI, the TZT is currently displaying high / low at 200 and 50.TZT reduced.pngTZT_Garmin.jpg

Last edited:
Comparing 50/200 to CHIRP is like comparing hot chocolate to coffee. Yes they are both drinks but they are not even close in taste. Ultimately your 50/200 sounder is getting noise from another sounder or other noise source. While you can try to increase the interference rejection, the best method would be to resolve the issue to remove the noise/interference. Your example clearly is has noise stepping into the 50/200 sounder.

Didn't think to shut the garmin (chirp) down. Maybe that's just interference from it messing up the Furuno. Obviously CHRIP to a 50/200 is apples to oranges, and making that comparison was not my intention. What I was trying to say is that the Furuno used to display in a manner extremely similar to the Garmin / Chirp you see above. That was with a 50/200 thru hull. I now have a chrip transducer, but i have manually selected HF of 200 and LF of 50, and get the crappy readings you see above. I have also switched from DFF1 to DFF3. I'll be sure to shut the Garmin down to see if that changes the Furuno display.

Need to chase down that noise or check the grounding. If you feel it is the unit, it can always be sent in for testing but you have some serious noise being picked up.

Need to chase down that noise or check the grounding. If you feel it is the unit, it can always be sent in for testing but you have some serious noise being picked up.
Once the garmin is powered down, there is no other noise. We did have circuit board replaced on DFF3 after about 6 months of use. It self distructed. I kind of wonder if something may not be right with the guts on this sounder. Will definitely keep it on board for this summer, but maybe it should be sent in this winter.

Back