NN3D Radar Issues Finding Birds

poseidonmarine

I bought a boat with the NN3D system and a 6' 12kw open array radar on it. I am having trouble setting up the radar for birds. I have got it to pick up birds 4 miles out but they fall off the screen at about 1 mile out (and I can only mark them when it is flat calm out at any distance). This last trip I ran a dual screen and was trying to get birds to show both close and far with two different ranges and gain settings. In dual range I got a really odd image heading out from land and the same one heading back in. Both were about 5-6 miles from land and only showed up in dual range mode. Hopefully someone can help me with this issue!

Thanks,
Kyle

Attachments

• radar.jpg
    radar.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 503
Greetings poseidonmarine,

I would suggest reading the section "Targeting Birds With Your Furuno Radar" from the Radar Handbook (P.9). In general, you can tune your radar manually to find birds, however as it has been mentioned earlier last year, the NavNet3D just does not have the same automated features like the newer TZT systems do with built in bird mode.

Hope this helps, :sail

- Maggy

Maggy,

Thank you for your reply. I have read that and found it very helpful. Maybe I just need more practice in adjusting it? (or upgrade to a tz touch 3! :cool ). I am just thinking there is something wrong, because that big v shape on the left side of the display in my picture is a false return? There was nothing there, not even a boat....

Thanks,
Kyle

poseidonmarine":3lizd6pj said:
(or upgrade to a tz touch 3! :cool ).

:cool

Could be heading sensor related, as in you need one installed or you need the one you have recalibrated perhaps? :sorry

Just a thought, :sail

- Maggy

That is a good thought! For some reason my Garmin Steady Cast wasn't working with the NN3D on this last trip and it normally does. I'll give that a try next trip and see if it makes a difference!

Thanks,
Kyle

poseidonmarine":26gjf8vz said:
That is a good thought! For some reason my Garmin Steady Cast wasn't working with the NN3D on this last trip and it normally does. I'll give that a try next trip and see if it makes a difference!

Thanks,
Kyle

I bet it will! :jump :jump

- Maggy

Back