New Yamaha Helm Master + NavPilot 300 Compatibility Question

ChrisSEA

Hi all, new to these forums and working on our first boat build. Thinking of going all Furuno for electronics. We'll likely end up with twin F150 Yamahas and we'd like to go the electric steering route, which means Helm Master EX (for the cheaper rigging and maintenance). We don't want or need Yamaha's joystick or autopilot, would much prefer Furuno for the latter, so we'll likely just do "Level 2" of the EX system. Question is, can we use the NavPilot 300 with the new Helm Master EX level 1 and 2 base system, which is mostly just electric steering. I see there is a conversion kit for the original Helm Master, as well as other electric steering systems, but haven't been able to find anything about the new EX system. Hoping it will interoperate with the NavPilot but looking for information and experience either way. Thank you in advance and great forums!

Chris

Hello,

We have had some of our Customers and Dealers install the new Helm Masters systems and get it to work properly on the Navpilot 300. Just make sure to follow the correct setup procedures in the Helm Master document and everything SHOULD work.

I believe we plan to release more information on this and make it more official in the future, so we can provide more support on this product.
Also, you might go back in this section and see if you can't find some of those post.

Thanks, this is helpful. I've scoured the section for posts about Navpilot 300 compat with the new Helm Master system from Yamaha (2020 release) and haven't seen anything. I'll look again. We're not launching our new build until next spring so hopefully there is more clarity by then. If anyone on the forums has gotten the systems working together, I'd love to hear how it is going!

If you are talking about Helm Master EX, then the Navpilot 300 won't work. They have a proprietary system and you must use their pilot. The NavPilot will work with Helmaster when properly interfaced but not the EX.

Thanks, yes I am talking about EX. I was assuming it would not work but thanks for confirming. It's a bummer that electronic steering systems (which are great overall from a maintenance and performance perspective) are eliminating compatibility with third party nav systems (which tend to be better and integrate more smoothly with MFDs and other systems).

Johnny Electron":3dslmepq said:
If you are talking about Helm Master EX, then the Navpilot 300 won't work. They have a proprietary system and you must use their pilot. The NavPilot will work with Helmaster when properly interfaced but not the EX.
Is the helmaster the same for the 425s as the new Helmaster EX? I know someone who installed the Furuno navpilot 300 on his 425s with success.
Has anyone attempted navpilot 300 installation on the EX system? Or just assuming it won’t work because it’s new??
Thanks,
Eric

Back