New Electronics

Gillaroo

Hi All
I bought a GW 265 Express with twin F-225 yamahas. I am going to re-rig her electronics and am leaning towards a full suite of Furuno. I will put in AP, Radar, Chartplotter/fish finders. I saw someone that did a nice job with 12in screens. I am wide open to suggestions and have a few questions. I will be using the boat primarily in the Great Lakes

1. What AP should I get? I want one that has some type of remote control
2. For cost reasons I was looking at 2 (or three) 1971 f screens. Other than size and price, what are the differences between TZ Touch 3 and 1971f?
3. Looking at NXT dome with doppler. Good choice?
4. is there anything else I need, or should do since i will be basically be starting from scratch.
5. Transducer - I just want to find fish - i do not think i would use side scan. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Gillaroo

Gillaroo
Thank you for your inquiry.
1- I would like to recommend the new NavPilot 300/PG. This is an excellent pilot for a Grady White with O/B. In order to ensure that the pilot is properly configured for your particular Yamaha motor's we'd need to know more about the steering system. If this system one of the newer fly-by-wire types (like Yamaha Helmaster) or is a traditional hydraulic steering system. If its hydraulic we must determine the volume/capacity of fluid in the steering ram. What is the make and model?
2- The GP1971 series offers no interconnect capability. Each unit is designed to be "stand alone" and cannot share fishfinder, navigation go-to data, charts, or radar. The TZT3, however, is designed to be networkable in that each unit can connect to and with other TZT units on the Ethernet network. The GP1971 series cannot utilize the doppler 4D-NXT radar series, only the DRS4W wireless radar sensor.
3- The DRS4D-NXT has proven itself to be an excellent radar for collision avoidance and general navigation. For those needing slightly better target separation & clarity, particularly in small confined narrow waterways, we also offer the DRS6A-NXT
4- Other optional accessories would/could work depend on which display device you decide on (TZT3 or the GP1971).
5- Transducer selection- again it would depend on which unit you decide on. Tell me more about the type of fishing (trolling vs. bottom fishing) and typically the depth of the water that you are fishing in?

Thank you very much for the response Flatline

The steering is hydraulic - a sea star part HC5358 - just one unit linked with a tie bar for second engine

Because of the inter connectivity i will probably go with the TZ

I will be primarily trolling for salmon and trout in lake michigan - the water depth would be less than 500 feet most in the 50 to 250 range

Gillaroo,
Thank you for your inquiry.

Based on the specifications of the SeaStar HC5358 (8.34 cu) I'd suggest the NavPilot 300/PG-S. This "kit" comes with the heading sensor and the correct 12v autopilot pump for your vessel steering system.

There are several possible transducer selections that could/would work for this type of fishing and in this water depth on a 26' Grady.
If the idea of installing a thru-hull transducer is acceptable to you I would consider; 525T-LTD/12 or the 525T-LTD/20 (this depends on the angle of the hull at the mounting location. If ease of installation, or other factors make thru-hull not possible, I would consider the 525TID-PWD transom mounted transducer as a second choice.

Back