NavPilot 711C won’t take NAV command from TZ3 MFD

backman

Furuno Fan
“The last bug”

Medium complex network with 4 screens, SC20 compass, 2 transducers, radar, engine interface,Sirius, AIS. Everything new, everything at proper version nd installed and configureD by professionals.

We got the AP configured , did a sea trial and once calibrated, Auto mode is arrow straight, a huge step up from my older Simrad setup.

However we we try a Goto/Nav from one of the MFDs , the autopilot accepts the heading, displays the course for about 2 seconds and drops out. The AP says it’s in standby, the MFD says it’s in Auto mode.

They probably spent 4-5 hours on this and still haven’t figured it out, checked all configuration, settings and NMEA messages.

Any suggestions of known integration issues or the best way for me as a user to diagnose the problem?

Just an idea, I saw in my quick start guide yesterday that a list of about 6 PGN's needed to be turned on if the system included an autopilot. Your issues could very well be related to the AP not getting the 'directions' from the n2k PGNs.

I have a new install (haven't even done dockside setup) as well and was going to research that recommendation today.

On the boat now and checked, N2K PGN output is all turned off by default. For an AP, looks like you need to turn on:

If you set a go to waypoint on the MFD, do you get the pop-up asking if you want to engage the A/P?

It does sound like an absence of NAV data received by the A/P. What do you see as "NAV Source" on the 711C control head when you go into the menu?

My system is nearly as complex as yours with perhaps even more stuff on my NMEA 2000 network since I have the weather sensor and my AIS is a NMEA 2000 device. The autopilot control works perfectly from either TZT 3 or the TZT 2 at the upper station or the 711C control head. Never had an issue.

I get the message

HDG M 227 ( my selected course)
GOTO
XTE

The. Below
“No nav data”

Followed by SRC : TZT16

, then it gives an error message saying “no navdata”.

Bayhouse":3hybpe2z said:
For an AP, looks like you need to turn on:

129033 (optional) imho

These are the PGNs for nav data,

I would check your CAN BUS SETUP to make sure you see the TZT16F show up, and when you select a "GO TO" on the plotter these should PGNs light up on the NP711c control head when in this menu. If they don't light up, check your CAN BUS or NMEA2000 network for any issues, low power, improper termination, etc.

Ref. 3-20: https://furunousa.com/-/media/sites/fur ... manual.pdf

- Maggy

Attachments

• download (16).jpg
    download (16).jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 332
Thanks all - it was missing Crosstrack Error and GNSS position data, the rest was coming from the Sat Compass.

I turned both on in the tZT and NAVvstarted working, albeit 15 degrees to port, turned off GNSS data and it tracks and NAVs perfectly. Appreciate the help..

:jump :jump :jump

Fantastic!

Good job, time to go fishing. :sail

- Maggy

I assume that your TZT3 has a built-in GPS sensor and thus it could be the source for GNSS data? Not sure what takes priority if both the TZT3 and SC20 are pushing the same PGN's, but if the heading was 15* off and turning it off on the TZT3 fixed the problem, then it was taking priority over the SC20 maybe??

My TZT19F's don't have built-in GPS so the only source would be the SCX20 on the CAN BUS.

Bayhouse":12fizgnq said:
I assume that your TZT3 has a built-in GPS sensor and thus it could be the source for GNSS data? Not sure what takes priority if both the TZT3 and SC20 are pushing the same PGN's, but if the heading was 15* off and turning it off on the TZT3 fixed the problem, then it was taking priority over the SC20 maybe??

My TZT19F's don't have built-in GPS so the only source would be the SCX20 on the CAN BUS.

TZT9F/12F/16F will have the internal GPS, the 19F requires an external source of position. If two devices provide a source for position, than in NMEA2000 device instancing takes priority. You could navigate over to the sensor list and review the device instance priority list. NMEA2000 priority is base 10 so Instance No. 0 is the highest priority.

If I had a TZ Touch 3, a GP330B, and a SCX20 and I wanted position from my GP330B than I would turn off PGNs 129025, x26, x29 from the TZ Touch and set the device instance of the GP330B to "0." Every time the system boots, it would select device instance 0 first, than instance 1 if instance 0 was unavailable.

Hope this helps, :sail

- Maggy

I’m not at the boat now but have read all TFM I could find.

My network has the GP330 as well as the SCX20 and 4 TZTs so there are more than a few options for GNSS position. I didn’t see it listed in the sensor list, turned it and XTE on, held position -15 degrees , turned off GNSS and all was well. Clearly I was getting GNSS from somewhere, I’ll verify it on the Navpilot side tomorrow.

I’m suspecting that since the magnetic variation in the NE is 15 degrees I had a True vs Magnetic issue somewhere. In any event , yes it’s time to go fishing!

Magnetron":2h5v8m59 said:
Bayhouse":2h5v8m59 said:

TZT9F/12F/16F will have the internal GPS, the 19F requires an external source of position. If two devices provide a source for position, than in NMEA2000 device instancing takes priority. You could navigate over to the sensor list and review the device instance priority list. NMEA2000 priority is base 10 so Instance No. 0 is the highest priority.

If I had a TZ Touch 3, a GP330B, and a SCX20 and I wanted position from my GP330B than I would turn off PGNs 129025, x26, x29 from the TZ Touch and set the device instance of the GP330B to "0." Every time the system boots, it would select device instance 0 first, than instance 1 if instance 0 was unavailable.

Hope this helps, :sail

- Maggy

Just to be clear, if one had a system as described in your example, I assume it would be preferable in real life to set the SCX-20 as instance 0 not the GP330B since it is more accurate and faster to update than the GP330B.

I think I am having the same problem as in this thread and i have spent a few hours trying to fix. My system consists of 2 Tzt3, 12 and 16 with a SCX 20, 330 and a PG700 and a 711OB. When I hit the waypoint on the screen I want to go to the autopilot engages but then i get what is in the photos attached. The autopilot won't navigate to the point. I had to install a new pump ( and just installed the SCX 20. Even if I engage my autopilot without the waypoint, it goes for a few feet and then makes a hard turn and wants to basically take the boat in circles. I have adjusted the instances so the SCX is 0 and the others 1,2 but still getting the same result. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 807149FE-4651-4EC4-9387-74C035460BBA_1_201_a.jpeg
    807149FE-4651-4EC4-9387-74C035460BBA_1_201_a.jpeg
    446.9 KB · Views: 129
Sounds like you may have 2 different problems.

Did you try the advice offered earlier in this thread about turning on the PGN's to share across N2K? This could be your NAV issue.

Why your AP won't work with Auto mode - Perhaps try dock side setup again if the pump is different than what you replaced? I'd also do sea trial again as the settings would be based on the old pump.

There is a PGN that needs to be turned on from the display to feed the AP that information. I don't remember which ones and am currently out of the country. Will be back memorial day weekend to get that information if someone doesn't provide it prior to then.

Back