NavPilot 711

DLaff

I removed the navPilot 500 from my boat, twin inboard, sportfish. I installed the 711 and left the original pump (HRP 10-12). I have a Seastar Model PSC200-9 hydraulic cylinder which is power. During dockside set up I get deadband too high, the hard over to hardover is approx 4 sec. The new controll processor is wired the same as the old with 24 volt and I was told by Furuno I could leave the PG500 since it is also 24 volt and the new one I received with the unit is not. Any ideas?

So by what you say.. you are running a 12v pump... yet running the pilot at 24v which provides the same provided 24v to the pump.
It might explain why your hard over time is about twice the speed as it should be.

So one question is that on the pump selection on the set up if the selected pump is 12v the processer still feeds the pump with 24v because the processor is wired at 24v? This is what I thought so I installed a 24v to 12v converter and redid the set up and the rudder hard over to hard over is now 6 sec. Still not good.

The pilot does no voltage conversion. (regardless what it asks you in the setup as it tries to guesses what connection you have)
If you feed the pilot 24v, 24v goes out to the pump.
The older Navpilot 500 you had before, worked the same exact way. Either your old 500 was running off 12v or something magically changed in your pump on how it is responding. 4 seconds is way too fast hard over time. It won't effectively control the boat. You are looking for a 7-13 second hard over time with 10 seconds being ideal.

I would like to keep the autopilot on 24 volts. So it looks like I would have to change the pump to 24volt. with the Seastar Clyinder above what pump should I go with. Also if I am not mistaken the existing Pg 500 will operate off of the 24volt but the PG 700 won't. Does this fix the hard over problem.

The PG700 is a NMEA 2000 powered item (9-16vdc). Yes the PG500 can run 24v but is a 0183 NMEA item.
The pump should be spec'd based on the total cylinder volume you are pushing. If power steering booster is involved it can change things. Looking at that cylinder it his high pressure hydraulics. I would like to hear what @FishTech thoughts are. In my mind if this was working good with a 500 pilot running 12v then it should work fine running the 711c pilot running 24v as long as you change the motor for the same size but the 24v version. You really want to make sure that any assumptions you make are based on first hand knowledge and not words from a previous owner.

@DLaff That steering cylinder is a deceptive one. Your helm, and the autopilot pump, are actually driving a six cubic inch servo, NOT the full cylinder. If you want to operate on 24VDC, PUMPHRP05-24 is the one you want. You may still get a high deadband warning as there is about 1/8" of valve shift with the servo.

Your hard over to hard over time would be 12 seconds. That is "in-spec".
We can work with settings to try and compensate for a deadband that is slightly out of range. It might not be out of range with the correct pump. Right now it's driving it so fast that it cannot help but have a high deadband.

Back