Navpilot 711 with Mercury Verado V8 - Rudder Drive Error

micha3l

Hi

I have recently bought a Boston Whaler 305 Conquest, which was repowered in 2021 with 2 x Mercury Verado V8 outboards.

I have an issue where the Navpilot 711 is not moving the outboards at all, and is showing an error "Rudder Drive Error".

The NavPilot 711 is connected into the hydraulic power steering lines from the helm via a Danfoss Solenoid (ie it doesn't use a reversing pump).

The Navpilot does have a Rudder Reference Unit installed as well, attached to a bar which links the 2 outboards together, and this is reading correctly when I manually turn the steering wheel.

After having an electronics tech out, the Navpilot is working in full, and sending current to the solenoid. The previous owner of the boat states that he has never used autopilot, so wasn't any help with solving the issue.

After doing some of my own research (and my very limited knowledge), and having the solenoid replaced, it may be that I actually need a pump rather than a solenoid as there isn't enough pressure in the lines to turn the 2 outboards?

Although it's not an issue with the 711 itself, wondering if anyone may be of help.

Thanks

Attachments

• Solenoid.jpg
    Solenoid.jpg
    651.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Outboards.jpg
    Outboards.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I think this is a first time seeing solenoid drive (designed for much larger type boats) on an outboard. Normally it would be a simple reversible pump in the steering system. It sounds really odd. If this is really proper, you should be able to energise the relay direct to a battery and move the engines. put power to the one relay they move one direction and then power the other and they go the other way. If that won't move the engines, then the pilot can't move them either. That looks like a solenoid flow diverter used on constant running hydraulic systems. I can't see how that is suppose to work.

Back